Notices

'91 teg won't start

Old 02-21-2005, 09:05 AM
eupho85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 teg won't start

I'm new to HAN. I have a '91 teg that won't start. I was driving on the highway in cold, wet weather and the thing died. Had to tow it home and been working on it since. Fuel appears to be getting to the filter, however I can't find an adapter with the service bolt threads to fit my fuel pressure gauge, so I don't know if it's at the correct pressure. It sounds like the fuel pump is working. I can hear the whirling sound for a couple of seconds when I turn the key to the "on" position. Pressure is released when I open the gas cap. The fuel pump main relay checks out according to the book.

I have spark at all four plugs. So, I don't think it's an ignition proble. (I've been through igniter problems before, this is different.) I also have compression within specs according to the book.

I read on another posting that all I needed was fuel, spark and compression. I seem to have all three. Still can't get it to start. Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
jamesmeister

you might have sucked some water into the combustion chambers, i would check that
Old 02-24-2005, 06:32 AM
fjm1
G35

Try this once and only once. Quick start. Comes in a spray can. Spray a bit in the throttle body and try to start. If it starts, you've probably got a fuel problem.

I said try only once because I've heard that heavy usage of quick start is bad for your engine. For diagnostic purposes it might help you.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:41 AM
eupho85

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Boost-Hungry

If you got water in the intake system, it might have made its way to the piston chamber. Don't try to start it until you check that there is no water moisture in your intake system.

Again, I repeat DON'T TRY TO START IT UNTIL YOU CHECK THAT!! You could cause some real damage if you do.

Then check your plug wires and distributor cap for water moisture. Most often while driving in wet weather you can get moisture in there. Specially if you drove through any puddles or pools of water.