Notices

spring cleaning time!!!

Old 02-17-2005, 03:45 AM
THC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring cleaning time!!!

hey,

it's that time of year again when things are starting to get warmer around here so i figured it's time to do a little spring cleaning with my car.

i've already removed just about every piece of the exterior and cleaned everything you can imagine, every little nook and cranny. same for the interior.

now it's time to move on to the engine bay.

my question is, what parts of my engine should be semi-easily removed and cleaned? and what would you recommend cleaning it with?

i'm mostly just wanting to clear any clogged filters, anything that would bog down performance and could possibly be costing me gas mileage, etc.

nothing any more complicated than removing the throttle body.

that leads to my second question also: can after-market air intake filters be cleaned? instead of replaced? those bitches are expensive

thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:51 AM
JL95AccorD

Depends what kid if filter it is. Some are reusable, some as k&n, they sell the recharge kit. If it is reusable just make sure to get filter oil on it after washing it. Use degreaser, a spray bottle, and a brush with the engine cold. You can search for other threads on cleaning the engine bay, theres a few in the DIY. I don't see why you would want to remove amything to clean. With a brush and elbow grease you can clean it up real nice. You can do the seafoam treatment if you wanna clean out the TB and such.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:35 AM
THC

well see i'm not trying to clean my engine BAY, sorry i worded it wrong. i had it steam cleaned a year or so ago and it's not that dirty. i'm actually wanting to clean any parts that can have dirt/oil/gunk accumulated in them over time, or any sensors that can get nasty and possibly start functioning improperly.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 AM
JL95AccorD

So then try out the seafoam treatment. How many miles you got? And for the sensors and such, hmmm... maybe some electrical cleaner, to take out any dirt and oil from the connectors?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Mike Oxbigger

you can clean your EGR and IAC valves