Notices

Another tire thread

Old 02-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Tobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tire thread

I have noticed that my car tends to pull to the side, and follow ruts in the road worse as my tires become worn. I also notice that they seem to have a lot less grip. Is it just me, or do Kumho tires get slippery when they get old? Never noticed this with the Yokohamas. When they started to get a little more smooth, they kept their grip, anyone else noticing this with Kumho?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:15 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Well, low profile tires tend to do that. When you're driving down a bad road, the car tends to pull easily over road imperfections.

As to why you're losing grip as the tire wears, I guess that depends on the manufacturer. Tire construction varies, and I guess Kumho decided to go the frugal route if you feel that your tires are losing grip as it ages. You shouldn't really feel any loss of grip unless there is no tread remaining on your tires.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Kumhos are shitty tires anyway, so loosing grip isn't suprising. I would upgrade to something better when they wear out.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 PM
b00gers

You know there is not one mention of a particular model, just brands. Every brand has its bad tires / good tires / GREAT tires. And to say that Kumhos are shitty...my Kumho MXs are pretty nice street tires.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Tobra

Originally Posted by Shmoo
Kumhos are shitty tires anyway, so loosing grip isn't suprising. I would upgrade to something better when they wear out.
That is simply incorrect. These were excellent tires when new. As far as no tread on tire, there is a reason they put slick tires on race cars driven when it is not raining

I did not have this problem with the Yokohama AVSi's I had before. I was just wondering if anyone eles had noted this with the Kumho Ecsta's. I will almost certainly get Yokohama ES 100's or some Falkens next time around
Old 02-16-2005, 06:12 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yeah the kuhmos tend to behave more eractically when they are worn
im running 50 seris 712s and after a year they are worn too and so they tend to take road imperfections more noticecable
they are a great tire combo when new though
Old 02-16-2005, 07:48 PM
RboYi

Agreed, my buddy who has a BMW 325IS got new Kumho's, he did some canyon driving and they would grip like no other. It slowly started to degrade as it aged, noticably.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by RboYi
Agreed, my buddy who has a BMW 325IS got new Kumho's, he did some canyon driving and they would grip like no other. It slowly started to degrade as it aged, noticably.
The problem with Kumhos is the rapid deterioration compared to other similar tires. I noticed this with both my 17" and my 15" sets of tires. I agree that they are grippy as hell when new, but that fades much quicker than anyone would like. I would prefer moderate to high grip with slow tread wear as opposed to super high grip with rapid tread wear. The only reason Kumhos are good is the price and the initial 2,000 miles before they start to lose grip and tread.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yeah you cant expect much with a 80 price tag for 205/50-15 each
lasted me about 10k miles before i had to get rid of it
Old 02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
RboYi

7k for my friend.