Notices

ABS Problem 94AccordEX...help?

Old 02-15-2005, 04:15 AM
MichaelT1960

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Problem 94AccordEX...help?

The other day when starting my car the ABS motor went on for a long time before stopping. I don't think I ever saw the ABS light come on once it went out.

However the next day it came one. The code is "1"....pump motor overun. I think I see some fluid leakage under the modulator (where all the brake lines go into). I added some more....but it still doesn't work and gives me that code. When I first reset it (light is out) and stop hard on sand it seems like it still worked....and the light didn't come back on yet (still need to drive it later).

Any ideas what is wrong??

Thanks,

Michael
Old 02-15-2005, 07:03 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes that can be air in the ABS system. You can bleed it.

But since you see leakage, I'd suspect a seal where the accumulator bolts to the ABS modulator.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
MichaelT1960

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is the seal hard to replace? I guess all the brake lines have to first be disconnected?
I will look at everything later on today to see if I notice anything else. The modulator was replaced by Honda after 5 years because it lost pressure. Honda paid for the part and I paid for the labor ($260+). Maybe they didn't use a new seal???

Any idea why I don't hear the pump motor anymore? You would think it would have to come on for this code to come up.

Michael
Old 02-15-2005, 11:08 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look at the motor #2 & the accumulator #3. Each one has an O-ring where it bolts to the ABS unit. There's probably also some kind of seal for the reservoir. I don't have a '94 Accord, so I don't know whether you can reach that stuff with the ABS unit in place.

Whatever you try, make sure & bleed out the pressure before doing stuff. It looks like #1 isn't actually pointing to the bleed screw, but it's close. Get a hose that fits tight & only open the bleeder a little bit. There's enough pressure to hurt you if the hose blows off...

I'm not real sure, but maybe when they replaced the modulator, it was everything inside the line marked #8. If so it would have included the seals I'm talking about.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a S/B on it. There are allen head plugs on the side and bottum that should be retourqued. If it still leaks then it needs to be replaced.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:29 PM
MichaelT1960

Default My ABS started working again......

Jim and Honda Guy,

Thanks for all your info. I saw those allen head plugs and will check them out. The ones on the bottom are hard to get to.

Today coming home from work my ABS worked fine (no light). That is strange.
This morning when driving to work my light was on and I reset it a few times while driving (by turning the key to start). Anyway while the light was out I went over some sand and stepped on the brake hard. The ABS worked fine and ever since then the light has not come back on after the initial startup. However I never hear the ABS Pump motor come on like when driving in the snow and stepping on the brake. I will check it out more tomorrow, and check those screw plugs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by MichaelT1960; 02-15-2005 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update to the plugs. I attatched the actual bulletin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
abs code=1.pdf (137.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-04-2005, 03:51 PM
MichaelT1960

Default Problems with ABS and code "1"

Honda Guy,

Thanks for the Service Bulletin from Honda! Now I can see exactly what needs to be done and decide if I want to try it (when the weather in NY gets warmer).

So far my ABS is working fine again. I will have to frequently check for a leak and then decide if any work has to be done.

Michael