Notices

Patching Holes??

Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 PM
dawrenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching Holes??

I am planning on taking my spoiler off and want to patch the holes myself. What steps do I need to take to patch the holes? What are the materials that I need?

here is a pic of my car with the spoiler:

Old 02-12-2005, 05:10 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

to do it right, you have to weld them shut, then grind it down so its smooth, then bondo, then prep for paint, then paint itself.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by RicoD
to do it right, you have to weld them shut, then grind it down so its smooth, then bondo, then prep for paint, then paint itself.
Why would you have to put bondo on it after you weld it and make it smooth? How hard is it to make it smooth? Is it hard to make it even?
Old 02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
SRT_Andy

Originally Posted by dawrenn
Why would you have to put bondo on it after you weld it and make it smooth? How hard is it to make it smooth? Is it hard to make it even?
You use bondo to fill in any imperfections that may be left over from sanding down the welds. It's not hard to make it smooth, but a beginner will need practice or you can really screw your paint up. I'd say just take it to a professional shop and have it done right. You may pay $300, but you'll never know. Honestly, I'd spend the $30 in materials just to see if I could do it!
Old 02-12-2005, 05:37 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by SRT_Andy
You use bondo to fill in any imperfections that may be left over from sanding down the welds. It's not hard to make it smooth, but a beginner will need practice or you can really screw your paint up. I'd say just take it to a professional shop and have it done right. You may pay $300, but you'll never know. Honestly, I'd spend the $30 in materials just to see if I could do it!
I am a beginner but my dad is not, He used to do body work. I was just trying to find out different methods.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:22 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by SRT_Andy

:werd: and no matter how smooth or perfect it may look the metal will have its imperfections. when you finally do bondo over it, feel over the spot and see if its flushed with its surroundings, remember to feel with your whole hand not your fingers.

most shops might even charge more than 300 also. they may not even blend the color they might just butt match it
Old 02-12-2005, 06:27 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by RicoD
:werd: and no matter how smooth or perfect it may look the metal will have its imperfections. when you finally do bondo over it, feel over the spot and see if its flushed with its surroundings, remember to feel with your whole hand not your fingers.

most shops might even charge more than 300 also. they may not even blend the color they might just butt match it
Ok, Thanks.