Notices

92 Accord LX, can't figure it out

Old 02-12-2005, 03:52 PM
pyrosee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Accord LX, can't figure it out

OK. First: Battery died a few months ago, so I had it jumped, it started drove it home. I went to start it the next day and it just slow cranked and wouldnt start, so I drove my other car. I drove my new car for about a month and decided to try and fix my accord.

Step 1, Replaced the battery.
result: Plunty of power, all accessories, lights turn on work fine. Except, the car just clicks. The starter does not engage at all.
Checked all fuses under the hood and the driver side kick panel. All were ok. Checked connection to starter, and everything was tight. Reconnected battery, made sure every thing was connected tightly.
Again, car would just click when I turned the key. And again, I tested all lights, accesories, radio, power, fans, etc. and all fine.
Pulled the starter. Had it benched tested, it clicked out just fine.
Pulled the Alternator, had it tested and it was fine.
Still just a click.

I Replaced the main relay, and still just a click.
So what's left? Neutral Safety Switch? Whats the easiest way to test that?
And after that?
Argh....
Old 02-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Spyfunkr

Bad starter and/or solenoid?
Old 02-12-2005, 04:35 PM
pyrosee

no I had it bench tested, it was fine...
Old 02-13-2005, 08:27 AM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sibiryk
I heard about condensation. It happens in winter time due to temp difference of hot engine and outside but I didn't see such a thing in my engine.
Bench testing or not its a bad starter. The bench test will not reveal a flat spot or dead spot on comutator. The motor may be seeing the power but cant turn because of a flat spot. Also make sure you check both power and ground leads to make sure they aren't corroded.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Spyfunkr

Agreed. The only cause Ive ever seen for the clicking is bad connections, dead battery or bad starter. Since you eliminated the first two, I was thinking starter. But, if youre sure its ot the starter, disconnect and reseat your connections.

Good luck!
-Spy
Old 02-13-2005, 04:50 PM
pyrosee

I pulled the starter again, and took it to a professional mechanic. They have a computer diagnostic kiosk to diagnose a starter and alternator, and again it passes all the diagnostic tests. So I put it back in, and I crapped my pants when it started??!!?!!!

Was it possible it was just 'frozen'? Maybe having it tested and the solenoid kicking out unfroze it?

I have no idea, but its way way weird. I agree though, the starter could still be bad. Ill letcha know if it stops starting again.
Absolutely bizarre. It hasn't started in a month.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:22 PM
pyrosee

ok, take that back. Went to start it this morning and started to crank for a millisecond and then it just haulted. I am replacing the starter tonight.