Notices

94 Accord Trouble!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:24 AM
JiggaD369

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord Trouble!

Hi, i'm new to this forum and i think i might have a major problem going on in my accord. the other day when i opened up my hood, i was hearing a very loud noise under the valve cover. and today when i checked it again, thing is still loud as heck. i did some research and it looks like the cylinder head might have to be replaced...engine has about 80k mi on it and the previous owner was really irresponsible. i can also feel the loss of horsepower the last few months and i have no clue whats going on. please help this newbie, i'd really apprecitae it. thanks.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 AM
jobrien

Default Can't say for sure but...

First things first... New oil can sometimes quiet down some of those noises unless it's something really serious. So, do an oil change if you haven't already.

Have the valves ever been adjusted on the car? If the previous owner was irresponsible, then most likely not. You should look to do the valves every 30-60K depending on your particular cars needs, etc.

Valves are easy-breezy. Just get a Haines manual for your car and look in there for the specs. All you need are some sockets, a feeler guage set, a new valve cover gasket, and some high heat gasket sealer for the corners of the gasket, etc. Try that first. If the issues still persists then it may very well be something larger. Just work your way through the easy, and more importantly, cheaper stuff first.

HTH.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 AM
JiggaD369

how hard is to change the cylinder head?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:08 PM
jobrien

I've never done it. But I wouldn't want to get in there unless I had to. That's why I was trying to step back and offer some obvious and EASY possible solutions for you to try first.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:25 PM
JiggaD369

I fully understand your view on it. thanx alot man. the issue concerning oil...i've been putting fully synthetic oil in there so i doubt it the oil factor causing the problem. even last oil change, i put a quart of lucas oil stabilizer in there to stop any leaks or anything because the oil change before, i noticed oil leaking on the bottom by the oil pan and area and there was also oil on the spark plugs and the wire boots...all four of them. so i went and bought a set of gaskets for the valve cover and it came with the spark plugs seals and etc. im gonna change that soon but i don't know how a worn out gasket would cause a noise. when i open up the oil cap, i can see that the cynlinder head is really brown...so my guess was maybe a worn out head. but im not a professional so i came here. maybe only god knows whats wrong in there. if nothing works out, then i guess ill just replace the head over the summer.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:03 AM
JiggaD369

anybody?
Old 02-12-2005, 05:25 AM
oldschoolimport

I have a 94 accord ex head that I have no idea what its worth. let me know if ya need it, we can work out something.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:19 PM
JiggaD369

my accord is an LX, does that use the same head as the EX?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:26 PM
oldschoolimport

ex has the single cam vtec head. I'd imagine there is a swap like on b & k series, but I'm not familiar with it.I have the entire motor (it needs an oil pump), minus the intake manifold out, so no injectors, fuel rail, or throttle body. the vtec solenoids , I'm sure are still there, and the valve cover has not been pulled since the last timing belt replacement about 30k ago, so the head is complete. I'm not trying to force something on ya, just laying out another option.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 AM
JiggaD369

mine is a non-vtec.