Notices

Alarms are useless?

Old 02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarms are useless?

Hi,

I heard on the radio today that a member of parlament in England is introducing a law that would BAN car alarms. He claims (and I agree) that they just make noise and that most of the times (because they go off all the time) people do not pay attention to them.

Instead, he wants cars that are sold in UK to have satellite tracking (i.e. Lo-Jack) and/or advanced engine immobilizers and/or paging alarms standard.

Personally I think most alarms are crap. I use LawMan's unbreakable Brake Club (the club that makes it impossible to depress the brake - thus put the car in Park or drive it). I also have Lo Jack.

I think all cars should have (at least newly sold ones) lo jack and advance immobilizing systems (which I guess new Hondas have).
Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lojacl isnt an alarm system, but i agree with the fact tjat noone pays attention to car alarms anymore.

mods.. move this to the basement or sutitin.. nothing to do with accords in general..
Old 02-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Beeline

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
Personally I think most alarms are crap..
My honda accord has the immobilizer and factory alarm
on it, but the factory alarm didnt have a shock sensor
or flashing light.

Consequently I had an aftermarket Clifford alarm installed
with shock sensor.

Worthless you suppose??
Well I park my car with gear (eye candy to young thieves..'surboards&wetsuit,etc') in it quite a bit, and the alarm , its flashing lights,
the clifford stickers, and an alarm that will go off when
someone bodyslams themselves into my car discourages
young 'smash and grab' thieves, especially the ones
who want to 'smash and grab' in quiet solitude.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:57 AM
strykernyc

mmm they try to pass that law here n nyc and ofcourse it didnt happen. alarm are not useless. but they did try to ban alarms that dont come with stock cars. basically another stupid law by stupid people. stock alarms are the useless ones or cheap aftermark.
if thieves know cars dont have alarm they will take apart every car n the middle of the day. ex: they stole my friends radio from his car, it had no alarm but was parked n front of his house and they were checking on him and watch him walkout
Old 02-11-2005, 07:38 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

best alarm... dont let ppl know who you are, park your car unlocked without tints, and then go inside reeeel slow like...

they be afraid to come near your car
Old 02-11-2005, 09:05 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
Hi,

I heard on the radio today that a member of parlament in England is introducing a law that would BAN car alarms. He claims (and I agree) that they just make noise and that most of the times (because they go off all the time) people do not pay attention to them.

Instead, he wants cars that are sold in UK to have satellite tracking (i.e. Lo-Jack) and/or advanced engine immobilizers and/or paging alarms standard.

Personally I think most alarms are crap. I use LawMan's unbreakable Brake Club (the club that makes it impossible to depress the brake - thus put the car in Park or drive it). I also have Lo Jack.

I think all cars should have (at least newly sold ones) lo jack and advance immobilizing systems (which I guess new Hondas have).

Cant believe everything you hear.

Maybe they should ban tow trucks also. Even with that Brake club a tow truck could come right along and take your car.

When you see a tow truck towing a car do you stand there thinking humm...is he trying to steal a car?

Lo Jack wont stop a theif from stealing your car radio.
Most thieves do smash and grab jobs so an alarm with a loud siren is helpful in detering a theif. ( My opinion ).
Old 02-11-2005, 04:17 PM
jobrien

I haven't seen a LoJack track CDs, cologne, radios, radar detectors, or any other pieces-parts after a window has been smashed...

Let's face it... If someone wants something bad enough, it's going to get got. Most things serve only as deterrents.

Park near lights at night and keep your doors locked. You would be surprised how many people do not.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:39 PM
oldskoolcivic

an alarm is prety annoying i gotta admit, but it has helped me alot. i have a deck in my civic and w/o the alarm, my window got busted like 5 times within 3 months, which pisses me off cause i always keep my faceplate at home. its always a trip to the junkyard when that happens. after i bought and installed an alarm system, its been 2 years and no windows are broken . it paid for itself, but i do gotta admit sometimes when ur lying in bed at night and a freakin alarm goes off for like 10 minutes, u just want to go out and blow the car up or something.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:13 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i feel better that i have an alarm on my car now.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 PM
oei28

annoying, but not useless. Think about this. Two '02 Honda Accords parked next to each other. One with an alarm, one without. Which one do you think theives would more likely go after?