Notices

loose shiftter...problem?

Old 02-08-2005, 04:39 PM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose shiftter...problem?

for 7th gen accord MTs, are the shifters supposed to be able to turn freely? or are they supposed to be pretty much stuck in one place. to describe what ive been driving w/, the shifter feels like its just swiveling around. ive tried to tighten it by turning it clockwise (which works), but then the shift boot gets all wound up and ugly and horrible, haha.

do other 7th gen owners (or anyone else, for that matter) know if this is normal or if i should go to the dealer and get them to look at it. btw, its been like this since the first day i got it from the lot. thanks~
Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by TaekOne
for 7th gen accord MTs, are the shifters supposed to be able to turn freely? or are they supposed to be pretty much stuck in one place. to describe what ive been driving w/, the shifter feels like its just swiveling around. ive tried to tighten it by turning it clockwise (which works), but then the shift boot gets all wound up and ugly and horrible, haha.

do other 7th gen owners (or anyone else, for that matter) know if this is normal or if i should go to the dealer and get them to look at it. btw, its been like this since the first day i got it from the lot. thanks~
you have to disconnect the shift boot, tighten the shift knob and then reconnect the boot...
Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 AM
JL95AccorD

Yeah, the dealers I been to seem to take off the knob when they have the cars in their garages. They probably just didnt tighten it correctly when they detailed the car before you picked it up.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:12 PM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

would it be a safer bet to take it back or is it something i could do. from the looks of things, i wouldnt know where to start if i were to try to take it apart myself.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:00 PM
2kAccord

If its like every other Honda shift boot what you do is, grip the boot at the top near where it meets the knob and pull strait down. Theres 2 clips that hold the boot to the knob. Once that is done you can simply tighten the knob to how you want it and clip the boot back up. This is how every Honda I know of is done. Unless the 7th gens changed for some reason.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

is it possible to get a confirmation on this? dont wanna end up jackin it by pulling too hard, haha.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:33 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by TaekOne
is it possible to get a confirmation on this? dont wanna end up jackin it by pulling too hard, haha.
i had to pull really hard on mine...i eventually ended up dremling those two tabs off the stock knob and then switched to a completely different knob.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

dag, that sucks. well, turns out i was stuck in some stop-and-go traffic on the way home from classes today and got bored just sittin there. i looked over at my shifter and was like, 'eh, screw it. here goes...' and pulled down on the boot. it made a 'pop' sound and came right off w/ the two tabs you guys spoke of. i was like 'sweeeet' and tightened that baby up and clipped it back on. so, overall it was a huge success. thanks guys!!

but now im like hmm, should i get a new shift knob...? >:]
Old 02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
JL95AccorD

Yeah, get one with pretty blue neon lights in it :naughty:
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

-___-

lol