Notices

Speed Sensor - '91 Accord

Old 02-06-2005, 12:01 AM
trimagna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor - '91 Accord

My speedometer was getting erratic, sometimes stopping altogether.

I suspected the speed sensor. I bought a replacement thru eBay; roughly $40 with shipping. The seller is Direct Auto. eBay # 7949439414.

The seller has almost 10,000 transactions and the item appears to be a perfect match. It did not include a new drive pin.

After installing, the speedometer is not just erratic, it doesn't move even a little.

* With the speed sensor removed the car, is there a way to test it? For example, by mounting the drive pin in a drill motor and spinning the speed sensor, would I see a reading on a voltmeter?

* Suggestions?

I attached what should be an image of a similar speed sensor. However, mine is slightly different than the illustration. On mine the 10mm (head) bolt that holds the connector mount also holds one ear of the speed sensor. There is a corresponding 10mm bolt on the opposite side.

Thanks,
- CarlD trimagna@yahoo.com

- - - Accord Wagon, 4cyl AT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Accord_VSS.jpg (75.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-06-2005, 05:18 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the top part of that sensor, the actual electric part if you remove the two bolts there should be a little pin insid that has two tabs on the side. That engages the gear when driven to the actuall electric part. check that.

Personally i would put your old one in because i think there isn't anything wrong with it.

Heres why i think this. I didn't here you say that the check engine lite is on. When the VSS goes or acts eratic the PCM would pick that the sensor is dropping out and turn the light on and store a code. Usuall it just stops altogether. I would be 99% confident in saying the problem is the speedo and not the sensor.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Illicit Accord

Originally Posted by honda guy
Well the top part of that sensor, the actual electric part if you remove the two bolts there should be a little pin insid that has two tabs on the side. That engages the gear when driven to the actuall electric part. check that.

Personally i would put your old one in because i think there isn't anything wrong with it.

Heres why i think this. I didn't here you say that the check engine lite is on. When the VSS goes or acts eratic the PCM would pick that the sensor is dropping out and turn the light on and store a code. Usuall it just stops altogether. I would be 99% confident in saying the problem is the speedo and not the sensor.
yea, i agree same thing happened to me in my 5th gen. i went out of my way and paid like 80bucks for a new sensor, that didn't work so i bought a new speedo gauge, been working great ever since then...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:55 AM
trimagna

Default Speed Sensor - fixed

It was the sensor.

I didn't post all of the symptoms. The S light was blinking and after a few minutes the Check Engine light also turned on.

I used the Honda diagnostic process to verify the situation. It's simple: The black wire should test as Ground. The middle pin should indicate 12V (with the key turned in the ignition). And the 3rd wire should read 5V.

If that is accurate, then the tech manual says it's time to replace the sensor.

The problem with the replacement sensor was that I didn't press the connector ends together hard enough.

This proves that $40 replacement speed sensors do fit and do function.

Thanks all,
- CarlD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SpeedSensor_diagnose.jpg (111.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 AM
HondaLatina

I See U Got A Honda Maybe You Can Help Me
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Illicit Accord

Originally Posted by HondaLatina
I See U Got A Honda Maybe You Can Help Me

wtf......?? ....honda-acura.net...??
Old 02-09-2005, 08:05 AM
UCF Accord
Former Member

this also happened to me a few months back. i ended up buying a new sending unit for 100.