Notices

tools to change sparkplugs on 2000AV6

Old 08-23-2002, 03:09 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tools to change sparkplugs on 2000AV6

Sup ppl, I did the search and found nothin..maybe I'm retarded
but doesn anyone have a link of a Howto change plugs?

step by step and required tools would be great! I was looking at
the engine and the 3 plugs in the back look pretty tight against the hood. The space there is very limited..

anyways tools and how to would be great thanks!
Old 08-23-2002, 06:41 AM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

You'll probably need just a spark plug puller. I haven't changed the plugs on my Mom's AV6 (they'd rather the dealer take care of all the maintennance), but I assume it's a fairly simple job. I did it on my Civic, and it wasn't that hard. As for the plugs at the back, I guess you'll just have to put your back into it, since the hood doesn't have a latch and is hydraulically actuated. =/
Old 08-23-2002, 06:44 AM
The Dude
Banned

don't know how to change spark plugs????

You need a socket wrench and a torque wrench
Old 08-23-2002, 06:48 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easy! Don't stress it. Here's some quick rundown:
Tools: I'd say gloves, a torque wrench, and an extension.

1) Turn car off Let it cool
2) Take out the ignition wires, make sure you either label them so you know where they go where or use a diagram.
3) Take the propper size hex (don't know off top of my head, I have it at home) and loosen each one, might be a little tight, but shouldn't be bad. Also, you might need an extension on the wrench if your plugs are really recessed in, like mine. It might be easier if the hex adapter you use has a built in rubber seal inside so it can help pull out the plug. Otherwise, use a rubber hose to pull out the old plugs.
4) When installing new plugs, put a lil bit of anti sieze on the threads, a LITTLE, not neccesary, but doesn't hurt. Either hand tighten them back in (keep tightening until it stops, then about 1/4 more, don't overtighten) or use a torque wrench at the propper torque.
5) Put wires back in, if the wires are old, doesn't hurt to change them every few years (I'd say maybe 3 years or so).
Good luck, hope this helps!
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-23-2002, 06:52 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

MaxBoost that's just what I needed thanks man!!

I'm afraid of stripping the thread like I did on my '92 Cavalier 3 years ago...
Old 08-23-2002, 07:01 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

I'm installing the Denso Iridium(sp?) IK-16
They are pre-gapped? Correct me if I'm wrong Elite
Old 08-23-2002, 08:18 AM
t-rd

A little anti-seize, not neccessary??!? IT IS NECESSARY OR YOU'LL BE IN DEEP **** NEXT TIME YOU TRY TO EXTRACT THE PLUGS. I've heard too many stories with people having plugs seized in the cylinder head. Trust me, use some anti-seize on the thread, not just a little. As long as you don't get anti-seize onto the plugs' tips, you are fine. You'll be thankful next time because the plugs will unscrew right out.

The 3 plugs in the rear are not as hard as you think. They are easy as long as you are careful.

Some important tips:

- USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE THREAD.
- Do one plug at a time, don't take them out all at once like the previous person said. You'll be in another deep **** if you forget which spark plug wire (if there are any, 2000+ uses DIS) goes where.
- If you are going for Copper or any other plugs that aren't pre-gapped, make sure you gap them right! Too wide of a gap will cause misfiring and make your car run rich.
- Get a torque wrench with a lower rating (< 80 lb-ft), not one that's rated above 100lb-ft.
- Hand tighten the plugs first with a socket and socket extension. When you can't tighten the plugs anymore with your hand, then use the torque wrench CAREFULLY. You do not want to cross-thread.

by the way, Denso IK-16 is pre-gapped to 0.044mm. If you aren't sure about your application, go to www.densoiridium.com
Old 08-23-2002, 08:34 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Originally posted by t-rd
A little anti-seize, not neccessary??!? IT IS NECESSARY OR YOU'LL BE IN DEEP **** NEXT TIME YOU TRY TO EXTRACT THE PLUGS. I've heard too many stories with people having plugs seized in the cylinder head. Trust me, use some anti-seize on the thread, not just a little. As long as you don't get anti-seize onto the plugs' tips, you are fine. You'll be thankful next time because the plugs will unscrew right out.

The 3 plugs in the rear are not as hard as you think. They are easy as long as you are careful.

Some important tips:

- USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE THREAD.
- Do one plug at a time, don't take them out all at once like the previous person said. You'll be in another deep **** if you forget which spark plug wire (if there are any, 2000+ uses DIS) goes where.
- If you are going for Copper or any other plugs that aren't pre-gapped, make sure you gap them right! Too wide of a gap will cause misfiring and make your car run rich.
- Get a torque wrench with a lower rating (< 80 lb-ft), not one that's rated above 100lb-ft.
- Hand tighten the plugs first with a socket and socket extension. When you can't tighten the plugs anymore with your hand, then use the torque wrench CAREFULLY. You do not want to cross-thread.

by the way, Denso IK-16 is pre-gapped to 0.044mm. If you aren't sure about your application, go to www.densoiridium.com
Excellent information!! I got it use anti seize, hand tighten and use torque wrench.. the recomended tighten force needed? 13lb-ft?
Old 08-23-2002, 08:39 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

thanks guys/gals! I'll do this shiznit tomorrow. The thread can be closed now
Old 08-23-2002, 08:44 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

:thumbup: sure sure

Quick Reply: tools to change sparkplugs on 2000AV6