Notices

Tough Decision

Old 01-29-2005, 07:00 PM
carrnut21
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Decision

My Dad was a 99 Miata, and recently, i have been trying to convince him to sell it and buy a S2000. I know my Dad really likes the mazda, but i know that an S2000 would be way sweeter. Has anyone owned both a Miata and an S2000? How to they compare ride quality wise and noise wise? I have heard that S2000 are very noisy inside, but i don't think that the Mazda is exactly quiet either. Is 93 octane required, or used by most people. Also, i read that in 2002, the rear window was changed to glass. Is there any benifit in spending the extra money to buy an 02 instead of an 00 or 01. How much is it to replace the plastic window in the early cars? Lastly, how do they compare when it comes to innsurance?

Any feedback is great, because i want to be spinning that engine up to 9000 as soon as possible!!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

It sounds like you want your dad to buy an S2000 so you can drive one.

Buy your own.

If he likes his Miata then there is no reason for him to spend money to buy an S2000. The S2000 is a faster car and slightly more fun to drive (Miatas are *very* fun to drive). In my experience the Miata is far more forgiving of driver error however.

As for the rear window.. I will never personally buy a roadster with a plastic window. :shrug:
Old 01-30-2005, 08:27 AM
carrnut21
Banned

I'm only 17, so i can't really afford a S2000 at the moment, and my dad isn't really attached to the miata, because i asked him if he would miss it, and he said no because he has only owned it a year, and an s2000 would be a very similar car
Old 01-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

Yes, its worth the extra money to get an MY02+ S2Ks for the rear glass.

And yes, the Miata is more forgiving to driver error than the S2000. There were several accounts of accidents in an S2000 because of driver error.

Don't worry about interior noise, you're in a sports car. Live with it.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
NX01
My first Honda

Originally Posted by AznMAC007
And yes, the Miata is more forgiving to driver error than the S2000. There were several accounts of accidents in an S2000 because of driver error.
OK your scaring me. I don't drive like an idiot but should I be concerned? Is this car safe?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

Originally Posted by NX01
OK your scaring me. I don't drive like an idiot but should I be concerned? Is this car safe?
its only safe to a safe driver. If you even go .001% over the car's potential, you will be sorry.

S2000 = double edge sword
Old 02-01-2005, 07:32 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by AznMAC007
There were several accounts of accidents in an S2000 because of driver error.
:squint: S2K driver error? :thinking: driving error pertains to all cars. Be it a Honda Odessy or an Acura NSX.

No. Key phrase in your post was I don't drive like an idiot
Old 02-01-2005, 08:08 PM
xenosis

im only 21 and i think im daym lucky i have a s2k... i pay soo much for my insurance... i might actually be selling the car sometime in the near future if i dont find a new job... the glass helps ALOT! i drive a year 2000, and my softtop rear "window" gets dirty!! i put the top down mostly on the weekends when i drive, but still it gets dirty, its easy to clean, but still its better to have the glass... its better for you to purchase a car with the glass... having one installed is a pain... my buddy did it... but he got lucky and got it for free....but in my opinion one bad thing about the glass is its a little bit smaller... my only beef with glass rear
Old 02-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

The car is perfectly safe. One can't blame the car for their overdriving of the car's potential. Go into a 90 degree corner on a sidestreet at 100mph in any car and see what happens. Not the car's fault though.

When I mentioned driver error in this thread I was just pointing out that the S2000 is LESS FORGIVING of driver error than the Miata. This is "generally" true with any car with higher limits. That's why I stress to new HPDE/lapping day drivers that they stick with street tires for awhile before going to R-Compound tires.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Josh M

Well my mom used to have a miata that I drove around and I actually took it to an open track day at Road America for a Mazda show...........its an alright car and I liked it, I don't buy into it being a girl's car because the car did handle pretty well and I could out accellerate some hondas

IMO I think the s2000 handled better than the miata and the position u sat in is better suited for me, and the angle i like to sit at. Overall the S2k is easily a better call than the miata..........but I'd get a 350z