Notices

'99 civic hatch accel problems...

Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM
xbradx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 civic hatch accel problems...

i've got a '99 civic that's having problems accelerating. whenever i push on the gas the engine revs up alot more than usual, but barely accelerates. it's ok, once i get up to speed, it just takes quite awhile to get up there. is this a transmission problem? my check engine indicator isn't coming up at all either.
also, i know i've got a blown bearing in the transmission that rattles a little when in 1st and 2nd gear, but it's not really been a problem as of yet(can't afford $1500 to fix it yet).
any help or info at all is greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:07 PM
JaVa_230

if its a manual it could be the clutch. i had the same problem it would rev and not accelerate much and it was the clutch.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Ronin

Sounds like the clutch/transmission to me. What exactly are they gonna fix for $1500?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

How are your fluids since this started happening? Humor me.

If the engine's rear main seal or the input shaft seal on the transmission is bad, then your clutch could be soaked with oil. You'd be able to see it leaking from the clutch cover near the bell housing... and either your engine oil or or gear oil level will gradually drop. If it's the input shaft bearing that's failing on your transmission, it's likely that's the cause, unless your clutch is already worn out.

You have a manual transmission, so the only thing that can cause your engine to rev and you don't accelerate-is the clutch. Unless your car sounds like it's chewing up glass and sparks are flying from the transmission that's the case. You'd notice that.

Forget paying $1500 for a tranny job. Follow Westcoast's DIY in the civic resources thread for changing a clutch. Buy a used tranny for like $250-350 and swap it yourself. It's no different than doing a clutch job. You just put a different tranny back in when you're done.

Edit: Cheaper/easier to swap than to replace.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:05 AM
xbradx

well, my civic's a manual, and i tried earlier today to check the fluid level, but couldn't find any dipstick or means to check it.
and 1500 was what i was quoted by a local transmission shop to replace the sleeve bearing that's got one blown bearing in it(rattles a little when in 1st and 2nd gear), but was told that i could drive on it for a while more before it would eventually have to be replaced.
i think you guys are right about it probably being the clutch going out. unfortinately, i really don't have the means or tools to do it myself. but just thinking that i hopefully dont' need to replace the whole thing yet has made my night a whole helluva lot better! thanks!