Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

[b]slow civic dx need more power please help[/b]

Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
civic94dx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [b]slow civic dx need more power please help[/b]

i have a 94 civic dx manual tranny small 1.5 liter and i need to do something, i cant decide if i want to get a turbo installed on the little engine and wait till its done for (considering it alredy has 150k on it) and then get the same engine and install the turbo on that....or just get a nice b16 or 18 and put bolt on upgrades with that....all suggestions welcome
Old 01-11-2005, 04:20 PM
lkailburn
college kid

it depends on your hp goals and your budget. 150k is a lot.. and kinda chancy if going turbo.. which imo is the only thing to do with D's. NA on a D is just waaaay to expensive. i'd suggest picking up a low mileage d16y8 with tranny too. and put together a turbo for that. your turbo will pretty much bolt all up to your b7 or whatever it is that u have, since its also a D-series. but i just don't know how beaten on it is. you could do a compression check on it and that would give u a good measure of how stable it is in its current condition.

goodluck bro.

-Luke
Old 01-11-2005, 05:03 PM
civic94dx

ok you said with tranny too so does that mean mines probobly going bad since its so old, and i decided that i wanna go with a swap... i want a b16a (vtec) it comes with tranny and ecu, but whats the 10.4 compression thing, and if my tranny is still ok should i still switch it, o and the vtec, will that all be ok with the ecu swap? sorry about all the ?s i'm only 16 and dying to learn everything i can.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by civic94dx
ok you said with tranny too so does that mean mines probobly going bad since its so old, and i decided that i wanna go with a swap... i want a b16a (vtec) it comes with tranny and ecu, but whats the 10.4 compression thing, and if my tranny is still ok should i still switch it, o and the vtec, will that all be ok with the ecu swap? sorry about all the ?s i'm only 16 and dying to learn everything i can.
You have come to the right place.

The 10.4:1 compression is a ratio. The higher the first number, the higher the compression. High compression is not so good for turbocharged engines.

You need to swap the tranny with the new motor along with the ECU. The B16 is a good choice. That should give you around the same power if not more than a turbo D15 but with much more reliability and drivability.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM
lkailburn
college kid

Originally Posted by Shmoo
You have come to the right place.

The 10.4:1 compression is a ratio. The higher the first number, the higher the compression. High compression is not so good for turbocharged engines.

You need to swap the tranny with the new motor along with the ECU. The B16 is a good choice. That should give you around the same power if not more than a turbo D15 but with much more reliability and drivability.

Good luck.
yup all true. higher compression sucks for boost, but if you invest in some good fuel management and dyno tuning you should be set. also, new headgasket and arp headstuds help along wth having the surfaces of the head and block checked. that will help keep you from blowing any headgaskets if you decide to boost.
if you can afford the swap go for it. its obviously better than swapping a d16y8, but will cost a lot more. another downside, B's really lack in torque.. but a turbo would fix that up nicely
i've got the boost bug sorry, haha. in my mind boost will fix everything.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:59 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

just boost the shit out of it. when it blows, buy a jdm d15 for 500 bux and call it a day
Old 01-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Slipjack
Town Drunk

I've got a '92 Civic DX with 191k on it. I'm going to drop a D16Z6 in there before too long. Keeping the engine just isn't a good idea for putting performance parts on it at this point. If you get a compression check and your engine isn't too beat to heck like mine, you could do a mini-me conversion by getting a cylinder head, intake manifold, ecu, and wire harness from a 92-95 EX or Si. You may wanna' grab the tranny too. Check auto salvages for these things (actually under Auto Salvage in the yellow pages).

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

Wait till it dies and do a clean swap! :yes:
Old 01-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Slipjack
Town Drunk

Originally Posted by SP00NFed
Wait till it dies and do a clean swap! :yes:
While true, his current engine could last him years. If he wants a b-series engine he'll end up paying more, since they are rising in price fairly quickly due to discontinued manufacturing in favor of the K series (I think it's K, or is it F?). Then again, years from now a K series could be dirt cheap.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 AM
JaVa_230

i had the same think D15 with 170K good compression i boosted and its still living. when its dies going to a d16Z6. but i like the SOHC its so simple and esay compared to a vtec