Notices

Changing brake fluid

Old 08-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Illusion-Lighting
Illusion Lighting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing brake fluid

Can someone tell me how to change the brake fluid on a 6th gen I4 coupe? Would I need to bleed the brake system after I change the brake fluid? I've also heard that mixing brake fluids isn't good, so how do I flush out the old stuff?
Old 08-21-2002, 06:22 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

first of all why are u doing it? j/w

well..first i would like to warn you i have never done it..only read about it and how to bleed..etc. So i understand it fully so maybe that might help.

First you must get your car on jack stands....4 of em...because you will need to get at ALL 4 wheels to disconnect the brake lines. I assume first you need to start with one of the wheels, disconnect it and pump the brakes until no fluid comes out. Then do the same all the way aro und. Now that your brakelines and master cylinder are completely free of brake fluid. You need to add your NEW honda fluid(i recommend honda fluid because of obviouse reasons...u have a honda..so use honda..ya know?). When your dealing with brake fluid..its ALWAYS a good idea to have a helper....since the brakes are all over the car...you wont be running back and forth.

You will need to fill up brake fluid in the reservoir and bleed every wheel. Bleeding is kinda simple. You need a good sized glass or cup with about an inch of brake fluid in the bottom(new brake fluid that is). You will have someone pump the brakes until you see NO bubbles coming out of the line. All this while your brake line from one of your wheels is submerged in the new fluid in the glass.

I also heard its good to start with the wheel FARTHEST from the fluid reservoir..so on a 5th gen(i dont know anything about a 4th gen)....it would be the rear passenger...then rear drivers....then front passenger..then front drivers. This is all because the reservoir is located on the drivers side of the engine bay.

Hope this helps, but to fill in the blanks, get a $15 manual from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

Lata,
Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 06:28 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

i have somethin to add.

I am not SURE about pumping your brake system clean of fluid. That might be bad because all that air is in there. I THINK i heard somewhere before that you can add new brake fluid to your reservoir and pump and pump until you see CLEAN fluid....but that wont help if the new fluid is the same color as the old...depends on the age of the fluid.

Hope that helps..sorry i dont know anything...it looks like i'm the only one trying to help you out here!

Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 06:46 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

IT'S A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! Don't do it! Brake fluid is in a sealed system, so if you never open the cap on the master cylinder (and since it's clear, you can check the level without doing so), it will never get dirty. If you don't have a problem with the brake system, you should never need to change it.... unless there is a leak or you cook the fluid by doing 20 hard stops from 100 mph in a row.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:12 PM
Illusion-Lighting
Illusion Lighting

well unfortuantely the guys at discount tire left the cap open and its been open for over 6 months now. so i should change it since i'm also going to be doing a caliper swap
Old 08-21-2002, 07:15 PM
fastball
A little chin music

How on earth did they (or you) leave the cap off the master cylinder for six months? Don't you ever look under the hood of your car? Or did they have the car in their garage for six months?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:17 PM
Illusion-Lighting
Illusion Lighting

well w/ the 6th gen accord it snaps on both sides. basically it snaped on one side and the other side was left hanging although it did cover it. it just didn't give it a water tight seal. and nope i never look up the hood. i shouldn't ever have to. i paid $20k for a slow reliable car. if i paid 20k for a fast unreliable car thats another story
Old 08-21-2002, 07:25 PM
fastball
A little chin music

So, I take it you don't do ANY maintainance on the car yourself (oil, coolant, etc.) or care to even see what your engine looks like? In other words, do you ever open the hood?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Illusion-Lighting
Illusion Lighting

nope. i only open it to change oil and check up on hids. I don't do a search for broken stuff. The way i look at it. the faster i blow this motor up, the faster i get a new motor. I couldn't even tell that the brake fluid cap wasn't tightly locked in place till i pushed it. then it just moved for some wierd reason.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:28 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

i read it is recommended to change your brake fluid because brake fluid gets hot and cools, so b/c of temperatuere differences and condensation, there can be water vapor (or something) and "dilute" the brake fluid, so that the brakes would feel "mushy" and the hydraulics of the fluid wouldn't be as effective. yea, i'm talking outta my ass. hehe.. somebody correct me!!!!

Quick Reply: Changing brake fluid