Notices

Universal O2 sensors, they any good?

Old 08-21-2002, 04:25 PM
RKV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal O2 sensors, they any good?

hey guys, as u kno, i am having cat problems, and i realized that the mechanic who changed my O2 sensor, changed the one on the header.. im an idiot, for not checking this earlier, this mechanic, wont reimburse me, cuz he said thats what the job was for, when i clearly remember it was for the cat... anyway, not the point, so im not ready to spend another $250(including labor) for an O2 sensor, cuz i am OBII(98 accord 2dr)... my friend got a universal o2 sensor for his RX-7 and it works fine.. he said he only paid like 20 bucks, that cant seem right, would my emissions be ok?... i bet thats the o2 sensor mechanics give u anyway, if u dont go to honda... cuz i know its not a honda o2 sensor they gave me. im getting my high flow cat now, and need to change the O2 sensor as well on it. and one more question, someone told me i could just gut out my OEM cat, and take the crap that is clogging it, and just take out the o2 sensor on it, this guy is pretty knowledgeable, having done so many JDM swaps on his car... but i want to ask u guys, it that ok? he said it depends how bad my cat is, however, the check engine light would still be on, but at least my car wont vibrate anymore, and feel like its fallin apart as it is now.. will i fail emissions if i do it this way? being ULEV, im wondering i got such good emissions that i will be ok but maybe, the opposite, my car system is so tuned for low emissions, things will go wack? he said my car right now is like it has a banana in its exhaust right now, or like a person trying toi breath with a plastic bag on their head, my engine is hurting now... what do u guys think?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:21 AM
RKV

so no one here knows someone or has themself gutted out there catalytic converter before? in case it was clogged?
Old 08-22-2002, 01:20 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Get one from JC Whitney, they have platinum tip, universal sensors for pretty cheap.

i doubt a 98 cat would be clogged already... but i guess its possible...

Um, gutting them makes the exhaust sound like ****, it would kinda sound like you have a heat shield rattle everytime you accelerate... plus it will make your car fail emisions and your check engine light will stay on. You can go aftermarket for higher flow, and you'll still pass emissons, just dont get a cheap one (ractive)... go with a good one (greddy) so it dosent just fall apart inside.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:05 PM
RKV

thanks man, do u have a website for a cheap price on these JC whitney universal O2 sensors, and yea, im gutting it this weekend(they both sensors right, one for cat and headers... im assuming cuz its unverisal they fit both, cuz i have an OBDII system), just so that my car doesnt feel like its fallin apart anymore, whole car shakes at 45+ mph now... im getting a high flow cat, looked at carsound and random technology, will be in 1.5 weeks. and i changed my spark plugs, they were BURNED... with denso iradiums
Old 08-22-2002, 05:12 PM
RKV

thanks elite... but naw, i'll take a cheap universal one... i heard their like $20-30. have u heard of anything bad about them? u heard of this JC whitney one that sumaccord is talking about?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:33 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

www.jcwhitney.com for the sensors... OEM sensors are outrageous!!
Old 08-23-2002, 02:32 PM
RKV

sumaccord guys, thanks man, but sorry to ask, which sensor should i pick... i think i might call them just in case as well, unless u can give me the answer. they got several options, and i narrowed it down to the obvious, cuz the other sensors say their meant for other type of cars... but for the ones they say are for ALL cars... but the only difference is the number of wires?

Platinum Tip 1-wire Oxygen Sensor
or
Plantium Tip 3-wire oxygen sensor

do u kno what it would be for a 1998 Honda accord(OBDII)
and are u sure this sensor is gonna fit for the catalytic converter one? cuz their two for an OBDII system, one on the cat, and one on the header..?

here's the link for anyone who knows the answer:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/n...threadid=17198

im not sure which one i need?
Old 08-23-2002, 05:30 PM
dantastic
cx power!

arent honda sensors 4 wire? btw there are diff size 02 sensors..... ive heard that aftermarket ones read to rich sometimes. supposedly the oem sensor is very accurate.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:54 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

the 3 wire sensors should work, as I think they are grounded by the exhaust system, eliminating one of the wires. The stock sensor is 4 wire... for the front sensor... im not sure about the rear sensor though.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:11 AM
RKV

i'll just call them, dont worry, thanks tho. if ur saying ur not sure about the rear one, im assuming ur talkin about the O2 sensor on the cat... unfortunately, thats the one i need, and the one ur not sure about, i already changed the one on the header. make sure if its 3 wire, that the O2 sensor on the back is compatible with it.. u gave me the website, thats the most important part i needed