Notices

speaker and sub questions

Old 01-09-2005, 05:45 PM
ShastSmae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker and sub questions

i was lookin to replace the interior speakers but keep the stock head unit and also install a sub. now what i was wondering is if i can just get some speakers for the doors and not run an amp off the speakers if it would sound ok.. and i got a JL W0 ten with a rockford amp... do you think that would be loud enough and i want to still have trunk space so id prally neeed a custom box im guessing cuz i got a little truck box right now i dont know if that would work.. please let me know i was thinkin infinity refrence speakers for the inside doors...thanks!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
jay3737

the stock HU doesn't put out hardly any power - so new door speakers would help somewhat but not much - you really need a better HU (powerwise). or perhaps get a small 2-channel amp to power the doors speakers.

then power the sub with your rockford as you mentioned.

i have a similar setup (JL sub in custom box in the trunk w/a memphis amp) and JL components in the doors w/a JL 4channel amp pushing those...i am pleased with the way that it sounds.

if you want i could post some pics of the sub box - it goes in the "hole" in the S trunk.

in any case - i think that keeping the stock HU is a mistake - unless you aren't concerned with sound clarity. the stock HU in my '04 sucked!!!

good luck!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:28 PM
ShastSmae

well do you think it will be more clear with just new speakers opposed to stock. i want to keep the headunit because it looks good and gets good radio reception and i want to be able to use my audio controls on the side.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
LeadfootS2K

Originally Posted by ShastSmae
well do you think it will be more clear with just new speakers opposed to stock. i want to keep the headunit because it looks good and gets good radio reception and i want to be able to use my audio controls on the side.

There is a good chance that you'll lose a lot of bass if you swap out the speakers with out an external amp. Keep in mind, even if you get high quality speakers, they will still be horribly under powered. This was the case with my old car ('99 GSR), until I amped it. I can also tell you that any head unit you get will be able to receive the same reception as stock and there are ways to keep the audio controls as well. I know GofastLab has an adapter that installs into the stereo harness for $90. There are also other products that work in different ways.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 AM
ShastSmae

yea i know im gonna loose bass i was hoping that i could gain some good clear mids and highs and the sub would take care of the bass.. my GSR i had jl components and a 4 channel amp and a kenwood headunit and jlW3v2 sub with soundstream amp so i know what good sound is but i got monthly payments now so i have to do somwhat of a cheap setup and whatever i get will be installed professionaly so that will also cost me more.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:44 PM
LeadfootS2K

Originally Posted by ShastSmae
i got monthly payments now so i have to do somwhat of a cheap setup and whatever i get will be installed professionaly so that will also cost me more.

Sounds like the same situation I'm in. Though I managed to get all my equipment out, I now have no room for my 2 tens. I'm seriously considering installing one of the subs in the passanger footwell. But that is not gonna be cheap.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
ShastSmae

the ten should be ok for now i think... im just gonna put the sub in first then go from there and see what i need to do.. i wont be putting the top down anytime soon anyway.... well today it is 61 in chicago but if i put the top down i may as well tatoo HYPE on my forehead