Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Ignition problem.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:37 PM
MCSEGeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem.

Ok, here's the scenerio.

I got to work Friday, everything is ok. I go to lunch, ditto. I go to leave to go home and it won't start. It will turn over, but will not start.

Took a spark plug out and grounded it to the engine, no spark. Even held the plug in my hand to make sure, and no spark.

Now the manuals I have for checking the module and coil have been done and all the ohms and voltages check out good when the ignition turned on, there's even 11.5 volts at the spring on the coil with the ignition on, but the plugs won't fire. Even bought a new set of wires and cap/rotor to make sure, but still go juice.

I called a few Honda places yesterday and they all said (of course) that without them looking at it, it "sounds" like the ingition module. Well, after checking, the module for my car is $200. Anyone have any other things I can look at before dropping $200 for a module and that NOT be the problem?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM
taz77

get to the ignition coil's ground terminal. use a voltmeter and check for B+ at the (-).
do you get battery voltage there? if not, how about the (+) side of the coil?
if you do get B+ at the negative, have someone crank the engine and see if the voltage alternates between B+ and 0. does it alternate in voltages or stays constant?
if it alternates, your module/igniter is good. if it does not, the module's gone.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:27 AM
MCSEGeek

Ok, thanks Taz. I'll give that a shot when I get home.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
taz77

Originally Posted by MCSEGeek
Ok, thanks Taz. I'll give that a shot when I get home.
i just remembered something... if the ground at the coil does NOT alternate, it MAY be the module going bad. the other options are opened wires, or a cam/crank sensor. the module is the most commonly failed part though.