Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

To intake or not to intake?

Old 01-09-2005, 09:01 AM
robbyrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To intake or not to intake?

Ok peeps I have a small question.. I have been reading that when you add a intake you can get about 10-12 Horses. But i have also read someone on here i cant remember which thread that when they took it to the dyno it olny really added about 2-3 Hps. So come one peeps speak up, what the thruth behind the intake. I mean i know that there is beneifit from the engine getting more air, but is this really just for the engine to run better or would i actually benefit from this!

RR
Old 01-09-2005, 10:54 AM
pomansouth

there is no REAL benefit in it. It may add at the most, 4hp depending on motor. If you have a Ivtec motor, you will benefit from it more.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

dont expect anything extraordinary in terms of gains. a little here and there, thats it. it'll give you more mental hp than actual hp. :chuckles:
Old 01-09-2005, 12:51 PM
robbyrob

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
dont expect anything extraordinary in terms of gains. a little here and there, thats it. it'll give you more mental hp than actual hp. :chuckles:

I got you
Old 01-09-2005, 08:18 PM
taz77

try not to think of the gains in actual specific numbers. if you look at it like a gain in a percentage of your cars power, you'll see why the numbers will vary anywhere between 1-30 hp. depending on the intake, most people will probably expect anywhere from a 1% to say 4% increase.
lets say we stick to a 2% increase. an engine that outputs 100hp at the wheels will gain 2hp, where an engine with 500hp at the wheels will gain 10hp.
the results will also vary on the design of the factory intake also.

if we're sticking with hondas for the most part, an intake alone will make a minimal difference, unless you REALLY understand how your car performs and know if any little thing is wrong by how it performs.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:46 AM
robbyrob

man i feel for the peeps that spend 100-200 for the intake!!

me i think i am going to get one but not the high end models!

RR
Old 01-10-2005, 04:27 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Just don't skimp on the filter. Anything short of K&N quality is a no go.

Cheap filters can break apart and go straight into your throttle body and stuff.