Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

distributor q's

Old 01-05-2005, 06:45 AM
d16y8hcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor q's

I just replaced my plugs and am looking at wires and a new distributor... my car is at 101k and i think its time to start making some changes to help it run longer... i was looking at the msd power tower distributor cap... is this worth it at all? it says it allows you to run an external coil, so does that mean i would NEED to buy an msd blaster coil or would the cap itself be good? what is the best setup? i dont necessarily expect any power or anything out of this, i just figure if im upgrading it, i might as well spend a little bit more and make it a good upgrade... thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

An upgraded ignition system is totally unnecessary unless you are putting down some good power. Don't waste your time and money, just buy the cap and rotor and that should be sufficient.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
MBenztech
Solid as a Rock!

agreed, now on the other hand if u do... want to go out and get the msd cap u must also purchase the external coil blaster pack.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:58 PM
twinring

Honda distributors are definately the Achilles heel of their motors. After my friends car suffered from "red death" as some honda techs call it (100,000ks) I poped mine open to find the "red" occuring. Honda distributors dont have a sealed bearing, so the bearning gets hot and it rusts. finally the thing ceases and sometimes snaps your cam shaft if you are racing. I bought one of these. I think it will outlast the life of the motor from now on...
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=41300
Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by twinring
Honda distributors are definately the Achilles heel of their motors. After my friends car suffered from "red death" as some honda techs call it (100,000ks) I poped mine open to find the "red" occuring. Honda distributors dont have a sealed bearing, so the bearning gets hot and it rusts. finally the thing ceases and sometimes snaps your cam shaft if you are racing. I bought one of these. I think it will outlast the life of the motor from now on...
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=41300
Very rare. I wouldn't think it would snap the camshaft but rather the two prongs on the distributor that is in direct contact with the camshaft.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
twinring

Originally Posted by Shmoo
Very rare. I wouldn't think it would snap the camshaft but rather the two prongs on the distributor that is in direct contact with the camshaft.
youre right, it is rare but it has happened.