Notices

Turning brake rotors - the skinny

Old 08-21-2002, 03:41 AM
Spyfunkr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning brake rotors - Drilled/Slotted rotors

Ok, Haynes says turning rotors is actually good because you end up "cleaning" imperfections from the factory, truing the surface.

Any comments?

-Spy
Old 08-21-2002, 04:34 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

A set of new Brembo blanks costs $25 each from nopi, I would just buy new ones instead of turning them. Turning for a Honda needs to be done on the car to be done right which is usually only at a dealer and then charge $40 each. Besides, when you take metal off the rotor you make it lose some if it's mass which dissipates heat. So now your rotors are more likely to warp.

Truing the surface is different cause you just take off a little bit of metal. Generally this was done years ago or if you buy low quality replacement rotors. A set of Honda or Brembo rotors should not need this done.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:03 AM
Spyfunkr

Thanks! The question was for my brother, he's down to metal on the pads(dummy) and now he needs my help to replace/fix them. I think Ill replace them.

Im looking at some Brembo slotted/drilled on ebay. $100 for a pair. Apparently, this guy buys the Brembo OEM rotors and drills/slots them himself. Good deal?

-Spy
Old 08-21-2002, 06:06 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Yeah I was considering those raceconcepts rotors too. They look nice and all, but in the end they won't make a difference for a street car. I think I'll stick with Brembo OE rotors cause on a street car drilled/slotting won't really do much, but wear the pads quicker and make the rotor more prone to crack. If you want to stop better get good pads, SS brake lines, and good brake fluid.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:11 AM
Spyfunkr

Ah, yes, but wings dont help a street car that much either. The bigger reason I want drilled rotors is for looks. Right now, my OE rotors are rusted to hell and they show very ugly through my Tantrums. I may go with Brembo drilled rotors (drilled by Brembo) and hope the extra $50 per pair helps me with wear/cracking issues.

Thanks again
-Spy
Old 08-21-2002, 06:37 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

If you get those Raceconcepts ones let us know how they are. They are slotted and dimpled drilled which is better than being drilled all the way through.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:42 AM
Spyfunkr

Sorry, where can you find the Raceconcepts? Why are drilled/dimpled better than all the way thru? Pad life?

Thanks
-Spy
Old 08-21-2002, 08:08 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

www.raceconcepts.com, they were doing groupbuys on thegroupbuycenter for the past few months. If you search the site there is probably one still on. He seems to have many happy customers.

The dimpled drilled is better since it doesn't weaken the rotor like drilling all the way through does. Remember these are stock sized rotors that were not designed to be drilled or slotted.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:09 AM
bbbradley

Slotted and drilled rotors are a waste of money IMHO for street braking performance. If you are into show and not go, then go with those, just be sure to check them regularly as catastrophic brake failure due to poorly drilled and slotted rotors is not something I'd like to experience.

Unless you are tracking your car and brake fade is a concern, stick with normal rotors. Tires, pads, and fluid can do more for street braking needs than rotors. Is it sexy, no, does it work, yes.

As for the guy who does this work himself, any idea if he has any skill or knowledge, or just a drill press?

/bill
Old 08-21-2002, 08:40 AM
Spyfunkr

Im into a balance of show and go. But if there is little benefit of drilled/slotted rotors to street cars, due to lack of extreme braking, I don't see how drilled rotors would cause more chance of cracking/failure. As to pad life, who cares?

Are you saying that given the same tires, pads and fluid, drilled/slotted rotors give no performance increase? Obivously there is a small increased chance of cracking, there are holes started-more area to start a crack.

Overall, seems to me, they look 200% better, give better(a little better) performance, and maybe increase chance of failure.

As for that "guy" on ebay, good point, I dont know if he has any skill in drilling rotors. Thats why I posted. So far, Im leaning toward rotors drilled/slotted by the manufacturer, Brembo or someone.

Thanks all for the input
-Spy