Notices

Getting power out of 5th gen motor

Old 08-20-2002, 07:38 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting power out of 5th gen motor

Is getting power out of the f series motors like getting power out of a D15 motor in a 4th gen Civic? Those things are dogs, short of reworking the guts on one and adding f/i, not much could be done to get one to be respectable. Is that what im looking at in my 5th gen Accord F22?

It is a 5speed by the way:thumbup:
Old 08-20-2002, 08:00 PM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

its possible to get power out of the f22 but you have to remember this motor is in a family car. it was never meant to be raced or fully built, althought it is possible. you have to build up the bottom end like everything else if you want real power and then you could boost it pretty high i guess if you wanted. but why spend all the money when its much cheaper to get the power out of a h22 or f20b (euro accord). someone correct me if im wrong with this, but i figure its a little bit of common sense. any motor can be built to get power, its whether or not you want to spend all the money.

you could always do i/h/e, ignition, cam, etc for a noticeable change in power.... but its going to cost a lot more to get huge amounts of power
Old 08-20-2002, 08:24 PM
kfar09

:werd: its going to cost a lot of money to have a relatively powerful f22
Old 08-20-2002, 08:33 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I just want a little more power, not looking to crack the 10 second barrier in the 1/4 mile or nothing. I just want to be able to hang with or beat the 6th gen's, they think they are big sh*t cause the LX's are stock w/vtec and like 145hp.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by 94uhkord
I just want a little more power, not looking to crack the 10 second barrier in the 1/4 mile or nothing. I just want to be able to hang with or beat the 6th gen's, they think they are big sh*t cause the LX's are stock w/vtec and like 145hp.
turbo mang.... the f22 will handle about 7-8psi on a daily driver with stock internals. you'll be spankin those 6 gens all day. if you build up the bottom end, well it can handle more.

or if you wanna go the cheap route you can just get a zex kit and run a 50 or 55 shot, but filling bottles gets expensive after a while.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by kfar09
:werd: its going to cost a lot of money to have a relatively powerful f22
depends. if you have a shop do all the work for you then yes. it's gonna take a grip of cash to have a relatively powerful anything. if you do the work yourself, which it makes no sense to me why you wouldn't(then again some of us aren't as mechanically inclined as others) then parts to build up the bottom end on an f22 are about the same price range as any other honda engine. there just aren't as many parts manufacturers to choose from.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:40 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

so if I do the normal bolt ons, I/H/E that won't be enough to hang w/the 6gens? I can't really afford to do much more than that, and even that is pushing it. Im a baller on a budget
Old 08-20-2002, 10:49 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by 94uhkord
so if I do the normal bolt ons, I/H/E that won't be enough to hang w/the 6gens? I can't really afford to do much more than that, and even that is pushing it. Im a baller on a budget
6th gens are heavier than 5th gens as well. other than i/h/e on a budget there's not really much you can do. you can advance your timing and run higher octane fuel for a couple horsies. you can get rid of your AC and power steering to free up a couple more. get rid of any ecess weight you might have(ie subs, backseat). get a lightened flywheel for quicker acceleration. slap on a set of 14" steelies which will increase acceleration as well(you tach up faster, which in turn puts you in the power band a lot quicker), but decreases top end. but unless you wanna get into the nitty gritty of FI or the internals(which can get expensive if you're not the mechanically inclined type) that's about all there is.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:52 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\

6th gens are heavier than 5th gens as well. other than i/h/e on a budget there's not really much you can do. you can advance your timing and run higher octane fuel for a couple horsies. you can get rid of your AC and power steering to free up a couple more. get rid of any ecess weight you might have(ie subs, backseat). get a lightened flywheel for quicker acceleration. slap on a set of 14" steelies which will increase acceleration as well(you tach up faster, which in turn puts you in the power band a lot quicker), but decreases top end. but unless you wanna get into the nitty gritty of FI or the internals(which can get expensive if you're not the mechanically inclined type) that's about all there is.
Whoa! I'm not that bent on being fast, I can't give up my subs bro!!!! I'll stick to my motto, It's better to look good and go slow than it is to risk your life and safety of others but be fast.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:24 AM
sho akkord
boosted

F22B and turbo it...

Quick Reply: Getting power out of 5th gen motor