Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Oil Capacity Question

Old 12-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Capacity Question

Okay, so I installed a fully rebuilt D16Z6 (actually rebuilt head, new block) in a 95' EX today and when we filled her up with oil she only took 3 quarts to get to full. This engine was completely empty of oil. Any ideas on why now it would only take 3 quarts with a new filter instead of 3.5 quarts? I'm not worried but it struck me as odd.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:01 PM
vassil3427

Did you check it after starting the engine and letting it circulate the oil after you turned it off?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Yes, we primed the motor, started it, ran it until the temp guage was normal, then shut it off and checked the oil again. The oil level was fine (exactly between the two dots). He drove it all weekend and the oil level is still the same. What gives.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Tankard

=Redcivic (exactly between the two dots).
That explains it. Fill it to the top dot and it will use 3.5 quarts.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Tankard
That explains it. Fill it to the top dot and it will use 3.5 quarts.
:slap:

It should take an extra 1/2 to 1 quart after a rebuild.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by Shmoo
:slap:

It should take an extra 1/2 to 1 quart after a rebuild.

He said it did not hold the whole 3.5 quarts. He did not say it held an extra 1/2 to one quart. While on the subject, explain to me why you think a rebuilt motor would hold more oil?
Old 12-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

He said it did not hold the whole 3.5 quarts. He did not say it held an extra 1/2 to one quart. While on the subject, explain to me why you think a rebuilt motor would hold more oil?
I don't think it holds more oil, I know it does. I have the Integra service manual right here in front of me: 4.8 quarts for engine overhaul, 4.0 quarts for oil change including filter, 3.7 quarts for oil change without filter. I would assume that after an engine rebuild, there is no oil in any of the passages that are normally full of oil during an oil change. I am just saying that it should hold more and it is strange that it isn't.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by Shmoo
I don't think it holds more oil, I know it does. I have the Integra service manual right here in front of me: 4.8 quarts for engine overhaul, 4.0 quarts for oil change including filter, 3.7 quarts for oil change without filter. I would assume that after an engine rebuild, there is no oil in any of the passages that are normally full of oil during an oil change. I am just saying that it should hold more and it is strange that it isn't.

Does the guy that posted the question have an Integra? I was just guessing he knew that his car only holds 3.5 quarts.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Does the guy that posted the question have an Integra? I was just guessing he knew that his car only holds 3.5 quarts.
Are you being a smart ass or just really stupid?
Old 01-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Tankard

He said his car only held 3 quarts. He thought it was suppossed to hold 3 and a half. He only filled it between the two dots. Full is all the way to the top dot. To the top dot would be apporximately half a quart more equaling 3.5 quarts. Therefore, his car does hold 3.5 quarts which is what he thought it was suppossed to hold. Now to me, it sounds like your the one that's stupid.