Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Happy Holiday's Hybird Forum

Old 12-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy Holiday's Hybird Forum

Just wishing everybody a happy and safe holiday weekend. Be careful out on the roads and remember, the safest way to drive is to assume that everyone else on the road is brainless zombie who couldn't make a smart decision behind the wheel if their (or your) life depended on it.

Post up if your get any cool car related gifts too. I think I'm just getting clothes and money this year but hopefully somebody gets something cool.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:33 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Happy belated holidays to everyone too, mostly New Year's tonight.

For those unaware, New Year's night is possibly the MOST DANGEROUS night to drive! Be careful out there, and use a designated driver or spend the night if you drink, some areas even run FREE cab services tonight. We all spend a lot of time and money on our cars, don't waste it or risk someone else wasting it for you. There's also a lot of police checkpoints around, so don't drive an obviously illegally modified car through them... car impounds suck.

Pictures of my holiday goodies to follow, once I buy them. I'm picking up a TII intake manifold set and TMIC. Six port turbo hybrid, here I come. [/rotorbabble] h:
Old 01-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The first peice of my "hybrid"-to-be, S4 Turbo II lower and upper intake manifolds, throttle body, and top mount intercooler. I have already stripped it to match my option-free chassis and modified the throttle body. I still need to fill certain parts and port match it for a six port block.

The stuffed TII is an old promo given out to people who test drove '88 10th Anniversary Edition TII's. RotaryNews found a few boxes of them and now sell them to rotorphiles like me. h:

[/noonecaresaboutmyhybridrotorbabble]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-003F.JPG (112.4 KB, 401 views)
Old 01-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Finally buttoned up the turbo manifold today and got it bolted back on. I had removed it to drill and tap a hole for the EGT sensor and I also replaced the stock turbo elbow with an aftermarket unit. I finally got it all bolted back together and back on the block. I also pulled the stock clutch and flywheel and installed the new Exedy flywheel before I ran out of time. Hopefully tomorrow I can get off work early and bolt the new clutch on and re-attach the tranny. Finally got some motivation back to work on this project, it's just been sitting for a few weeks. The really nice weather is helping. I got some new pics but I never downloaded them off the camera.

The stuffed car is pretty cool. Suprised you could still find them though?

Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Andy
Suprised you could still find them though?
Me too, but somehow they found a bunch of them that they never got to give out. I'm on top of the Mazda freebies these days though, I got a small suitcase from them about a year ago.

I have a question for you... what's the differences between the SR20's? Red top, black top, whatever?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Mazda suitcase? I was looking for an '89-'92 MKIII Supra before I bought my 240 and I actually downloaded an .mp3 of the audio tape they used to include with the car. You were supposed to listen to it and it would instruct you on how to work all the power features and whatnot. I never actually listened to it but I still have it saved somewhere.

Nissan engine codes aren't bad. SR = family (like B-series), 20 = displacement, D = direct port (I believe), E = eletronic ignition, T = turbo. The engines are more divided by chassis type than color. There's an S13 SR20 which has the red valvecover until '94 I think. The S13 hatchback chassis (the 180SX over there) was so popular in Japan they kept making them even after introducing the S14 Silvia coupe. The last few years of the S13 (after the introduction of the S14) came with black valvecovers. Same 205hp rating, some T25 turbo and I'm pretty sure same exact physical motor just with a black valve cover (called an S13 blacktop). I've heard the S13 blacktop computers require S13 blacktop O2 sensors but as long as they match up, works just fine. They're desireable and more expensive because they're simply not as old.

The S14 motors have more electronics and can be swapped into S13 chassis but I don't know what's invovled. I believe the engines have a VTC system simliar to Honda's newer VTEC-i's VTC but I'm not sure. I have an S13 so I only really researched S13 stuff. I believe the engines are rated slightly higher, ~220 hp but still use a T25. The S15 chassis cars use a 250hp version of the SR20DET and use a larger T28 turbo and have a 6 speed manual. I've heard however that the 6 speed is a little fragile and makes swaps much more complicated since you need a custom crossmember and the speed sensor moves from the tranny output back to the rear diff, meaning you need to use the S15 diff too.

I actually orignally ordered an S13 blacktop front clip from a shop in FL but what I recieved was a redtop clip with 156k km (~96k miles) from Osaka motors in canada (their supplier) with a pretty large front oil leak and no computer. After fighting with them for almost a month, I pull that motor sent it back and was supposed to recieve a replacement blacktop motor set but got another redtop (almost another month later). It's in good shape though and I just want to get this POS project on the road so I'm using it. They were also supposed to sent me a computer but they didn't. The guys in FL sent me their spare/testing ECU so I have one but I guess Osaka told them "we don't have any computers right now, so we're just not including them". Great business practices.