Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Is Honda Dying?

Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 PM
motoguy128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raykan
with growth ....comes conservatism.....sucks....they need to start innovating on design.
Careful now... look where that got Chrysler... now their run by the Germans. They are doing what they need. They know Toyota is their biggest rival. They are followign their lead in markets. The CRV closely followed the RAV4. Toyotas V6 in their Camry was later followed by the Accord V6. The CRV is now closer to the Highlander platform than the more economical RAV4.

Honda however knows where their core business is. They are not prepared ot launch a full size Truck or SUV like Toyota is. THey don't have the correct brand image. It took Toyota 2 dacades on midsized trucks, racing, and now even NASCAR to get brand recognition.

Honda should as soon make Full Size SUV's and trucks as Toyota should make motorcycles and lawnmowers. There's no transferable product recognition in either case.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Intrepid241

The tail end of the Accord coupe is the least of its problems. It is so fugly! I hate it. The only thing that is worth respect is the 240hp V6 with the 6spd.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:09 PM
smakdown

With respect to the accord, I think you guys are forgetting who the primary buyer of this type of car is. Its not the 3% or so population of people like us who like sporty modified cars, its mostly people like my mom looking for something that rides well, gets good gas mileage, and is extremely reliable. Like others have said I think the best accord was the 5th gen (i have a 94 myself) which i believe was the last generation before they started producing a north american specific model. Americans are fat (we are the fattest country in the world) and like big cars so honda just adjusted to the market here. If they had kept the TSX as the accord here, there would no doubt have been complaints about it being too small for a family sedan. Even though the newer model may seem ugly and non sporty to us, honestly honda could probably care less considering 98% of the people will take what they put out there.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
br2819

i didn't like my 7th gen either but it grew on me. i was kinda upset that i couldn't find a new 6th gen at the time but now i think my 7th gen is way better than the 6th gen. i have driven both and the 6th gen feels very sloppy compared to mine.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Project_ITR

Originally Posted by motoguy128
They are not prepared ot launch a full size Truck or SUV like Toyota is.
the truck will be out within the next couple months
Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 PM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

Originally Posted by FLip wit da Flo
i think honda has been trying to compete with a mid-class luxury kinda thing. Their cars have been looking more luxurious lately rather more than sporty.
they're just targeting the market segments that they can serve the best... if everyone were to jump in the sport-car bandwagon, there will be no differentiation, and thus Honda would lose more sales... what Honda is doing is smart, but they should seriously fire the current design team.

btw, 6th gen accords and civics >*
Old 12-22-2004, 05:20 PM
motoguy128

Originally Posted by Project_ITR
the truck will be out within the next couple months
I beleive it when I actually see a "Full size" Honda pick-up. I'm betting it will be a in betwen size like the Chevy Colorado size truck that replaced the S-10/Sonoma. You can't have a sucessful full aize truck without a V8. The 3.5L V6 is ok for a base model engine, but they need some real power for towing to compete.

This first truck will be a stepping stone vehicle like the Toyota T100 was. They'll build soem brand image and move forward.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:25 PM
motoguy128

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
The tail end of the Accord coupe is the least of its problems. It is so fugly! I hate it. The only thing that is worth respect is the 240hp V6 with the 6spd.
I guess it's the eye of the beholder. I love the looks of my Accord Coupe. It's the reason I chose it over a Solara or the Accord Sedan. I think they took some great styleing cues from the old Prelude for the front end, and went with a nice curved rear end that similar to 1980's front engined Porsches.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Project_ITR

Originally Posted by motoguy128
I beleive it when I actually see a "Full size" Honda pick-up. I'm betting it will be a in betwen size like the Chevy Colorado size truck that replaced the S-10/Sonoma. You can't have a sucessful full aize truck without a V8. The 3.5L V6 is ok for a base model engine, but they need some real power for towing to compete.

This first truck will be a stepping stone vehicle like the Toyota T100 was. They'll build soem brand image and move forward.

have u seen the honda truck yet? the ridgeline is the size of an avalanche and the V6 in it puts out as much power as chevy's 5.3V8. i know the truck's comin cuz i work at a honda dealership and they're sendin us to houston next month to drive'em before they come out.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:19 PM
xbajbusx

man the new 2003 accord are junks or i just have a bad one ,lots off problems carpet to short ,sterring wheels shackes when you brakes (when to a dealer 2 times already )i got 22k on it and i really not happy,i'm gone go check out toyota or nissan ,trade it in