Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Could anyone explain this

Old 12-16-2004, 09:47 AM
FEMBOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could anyone explain this

Along with my new honda I also have a pontiac grand am 1993. A while back I had a breakdown on a highway and found out it was my alternator and had it replaced, lately whenever I go to start it wont start and try after try it wont go. Maybe an hour later or so I will try again and it cranks up no problem and its been doing that off and on until yesterday i stalled in the middle of the highway and it refused to go and ten minutes later I tried again and it went. I took it to my mechanic and he is stumped as to what it could be and he told me to take it to the dealer. What do you guys think any sugesstions??? Thanxs
Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
VPUPPY

is this on your honda? what kind of honda is it?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:15 AM
FEMBOT

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
is this on your honda? what kind of honda is it?
oh my bad, its the pontiac 93 I'm talking about. I posted about my honda in another thread asking about the muffler. sorry about the confusion. But yeah this has my mechanic scratching his head.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:36 PM
soundshape2005

my 92 jetta gl had a similar problem, used to not start after driving for awhile and shutting it off (no stalling though). Then it would randomly start an hour or so after that. I thought that it had to do with the heat because eventually it would start again. But the solenoid in the starter would go out periodically and not start at all. Alternator always tested fine. Battery fine, cables fine, etc. Eventually i was on the 3rd new starter and about to ditch the car. it ended up just needing a 12v booster relay to the solenoid, and voila no more burning up starters. (thank you usenet) then I gave that pile to my sister anyway and got my EK
anyway sounds electrical to me.. have you searched for recalls? try a google newsgroups search as well.. good luck..
Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 AM
gutterslide

try tapping your starter solenoid with a hammer, then try starting it.

not joking.