Notices

HID Problem

Old 08-19-2002, 10:57 PM
A96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Problem

i have the JDM style headlamps. Bought the philips ultinon H4 kit. Came in today, and installed it today. Well, they dont seem to be working. I dont know what's wrong. I couldnt read the directions cuz it's all chicken scratch. anyways, i'm pretty sure i got it all plugged in teh right places. When i turn on my headlights, i can hear a click sound, from the ballast. But nothing happens.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:58 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

You switched polarities probably, I did the same thing.
Reverse the plug that attached to the Ballast. That should do the trick. because that plug can plug in either way on the ballast.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:15 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh! Try checking your fuses for the stock headlights (should be under your dash) The HID's draw a lot upon initial switch on, so they might require you to up those fuses... try that and let us know!!
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-20-2002, 07:21 AM
A96

Default Re: HID Problem

Originally posted by A96
i have the JDM style headlamps. Bought the philips ultinon H4 kit. Came in today, and installed it today. Well, they dont seem to be working. I dont know what's wrong. I couldnt read the directions cuz it's all chicken scratch. anyways, i'm pretty sure i got it all plugged in teh right places. When i turn on my headlights, i can hear a click sound, from the ballast. But nothing happens.
it came pre-plugged
Old 08-20-2002, 08:02 AM
usc

... if the fuse isn't blown, then most likely the polarity is switched. yes, yes.. it came "pre-plugged". but here's the bit of information you obviously didn't know and weren't informed by the vendor.

different car manufacturers provide different polarities to their wirings. i'm assuming the direction of current flow doesn't matter as much to halogen bulbs but it is VERY important to the little piece of hardware you just added, called the ballast. reverse those and you will short them out and <cha-ching>.

now before you get paranoid, Philips ballasts have polarity protection built in. which is most likely why you're lights aren't turning on because the ballast is trying to protect itself from shorting out due to the reversed polarity. so switch the positive/negative and all should be dandy.

don't ask me why car manufacturers have to make things difficult.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:23 AM
usc

Originally posted by EliteAccord
JDM style headlights are H4? I thought it was H3 and H1? Oh well. Try that they said.
:squint: all this time, you thought the depo lights were H3? why i oughta smack ya.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:48 AM
bdeitemeyer
Brad

what do you mean jdm style headlamps? are you talking about normal stock headlights that have black housings, or projectors?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:53 AM
usc

Originally posted by bdeitemeyer
what do you mean jdm style headlamps? are you talking about normal stock headlights that have black housings, or projectors?
uh.. projectors are just that... projectors. don't think the accord ever came w/ projectors in japan. the jdm-style refers to the jdm-knockoff's made by Depo (in this case, for the 5th gen accords). they're black housing. quality is highly questionable, but it is cheaper.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:37 PM
A96

i cant switch the polarities, on the ballast, because, they outlets are different for each plug. :wtf:
Old 08-20-2002, 12:38 PM
BonzoAPD

werd, i have the same problem. If you figure it out, let me know.

Quick Reply: HID Problem