Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Acura TSX/European Accord

Old 09-04-2002, 04:17 PM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red gauges are right out of BMW/Audi's book.

It's most obvious competitor is the A4. The FWD, similar specs (or so we think) and similar size all account for that.

The A4 has the optional quatrro AWD...... let's hope the TSX has some optional VTM-4 p)
Old 09-04-2002, 04:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kazi, another wonderful observation. Props to you bro :thumbup:

I suppose that is their thinking...after all, Audi is becoming very successful. Nobody ever calls the A4 a Passat.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:42 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES
Kazi, another wonderful observation. Props to you bro :thumbup:

I suppose that is their thinking...after all, Audi is becoming very successful. Nobody ever calls the A4 a Passat.
If only Acura had an A8 competitor :fawk:
Old 09-04-2002, 04:50 PM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

The only thing is the 2001 A4's body style was much older than the 2001 Passat's (A4 came out in 96 I think, Passat in 98). Therefore, they it's more along the lines of "they put an Audi interior in a VW" wheres the Accord coming out first is "they put an Accord interior in the TSX".
Old 09-04-2002, 05:22 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally posted by yianni64
The red gauges are right out of BMW/Audi's book.
you forgot the rsx, celica, and matrix
Old 09-04-2002, 05:24 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by LuckyDog
The only thing is the 2001 A4's body style was much older than the 2001 Passat's (A4 came out in 96 I think, Passat in 98). Therefore, they it's more along the lines of "they put an Audi interior in a VW" wheres the Accord coming out first is "they put an Accord interior in the TSX".
Yeah...that's the problem of the perception. People don't say the A4 is a upsize Passat, but a Passat is a downsized A4. People will say the TSX is an upscaled Accord, no doubt about that. But I think the difference is before 1998, Passat really didn't have an established name and VW brand was going to a bad tormoil, so using the upscale Audi name to connect to VW was a great plan to help the brand back on its feet.

Using this same concept, Honda might be using the Accord, a name with already good reputation, for its springboard for the TSX, a brand new name in Acura's line. The TSX might cover where the Accord leaves off, that is, a sportier exterior and more fun driving experience. Just my speculations.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:00 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by kazi

Yeah...that's the problem of the perception. People don't say the A4 is a upsize Passat, but a Passat is a downsized A4. People will say the TSX is an upscaled Accord, no doubt about that. But I think the difference is before 1998, Passat really didn't have an established name and VW brand was going to a bad tormoil, so using the upscale Audi name to connect to VW was a great plan to help the brand back on its feet.

Using this same concept, Honda might be using the Accord, a name with already good reputation, for its springboard for the TSX, a brand new name in Acura's line. The TSX might cover where the Accord leaves off, that is, a sportier exterior and more fun driving experience. Just my speculations.
Damn kazi, you are good.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:08 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Originally posted by kazi

Kazi I agree... but even with the strategy of Honda going upscale with their interiors and Acura sortof in limbo...meaning differentiation between it's parent company and it's luxary branch. Acura has shown us it has power with it's type S series, Acura has shown us reliability, Acura has not shown us interiors that cry luxary(perhaps maybe the RL) and Acura has not shown us RWD or AWD cars yet.

I think the next big step for Acura will be to add new drivetrains to their cars. AWD will haveto be integrated in the future... perhaps with the TL/CL redesign and RL.

And going with the VW/Audi theme may not be a good idea. VW shared the ideas and thoughts of it's upscale Audi line to revamp it's cars, makes sense. But Honda/Acura is doing the reverse... they have not taken any ideas from Acura because they dont need to. Honda cars always sold #2 or #1 for the last couple of years. Acuras and Hondas are similar enough that mentioning Acura and Luxury in the same sentence doesnt give it justice. What has happened is Acura is taking cues from it's Parent company.

I guess that's what happens when they ship over Euro-hondas and rebadge them as Acura's.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:17 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well moofoo, good points, but take into consideration that Acura doesn't want to be a Lexus. They want to be a good value with sportiness and luxury across the board. Acuras do everything well, much like BMW's do...but at a lower price. Your point about rebadging is kind of badly worded. The RSX may fringe on Honda, but the CL (NA only), TL (Sabre/Inspire), MDX (NA only), and RL (Legend) are all luxury/sports cars that are just called different things. It's not so much a rebadging issue, like Ford and Mercury.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:48 AM
yianni64

The Acura saleperson could just as easliy go, well that ES300 there is just a camry, and that IS300 there is the same as a car they have in japan with a 4cyl called the altezza. Not the same, but kinda.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX/European Accord