Notices

antenna options

Old 08-19-2002, 03:05 PM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna options

i'm pretty sure other people have this problem too.. the antenna on my 95 EX just broke. the motor runs, but the mast is broken, so it no longer goes up and down. as it is now, its stuck fully extended... i can't even put my car cover on anymore. .. this has happened to (if i remember correctly) three other hondas/acuras that my family has owned, and to several other friends' hondas as well.

is there some kind of aftermarket antenna i can get, that is mounted elsewhere?? (no volkswagon style, please).. the 6th gen accords and new civics have no external antenna at all, its just wired into the rear wind shield. this probably isn't an option, unless i want to get a new rear window. i'd been thinking about shaving the exterior antenna for a while, and trying to replace it with something unobtrusive.. now is the perfect chance! if only my antenna would at least go down and get stuck, dammit

i've seen these things you can stick to your windows both on the inside and out, but i'd rather have something taht doesn't look like a car phone antenna, and something that doesn't look like **** inside with wires everywhere...

thanks
Old 08-19-2002, 04:36 PM
KCMC582

the antenna-rear-window thing was available on the 5th gen too. my 94 EX had it. maybe you can find one laying around in a GOOD junkyard. im willing to bet half the people who had them didnt even realize it...
Old 08-19-2002, 04:55 PM
McIntosh'd UA5
got VIP?

why not replace with another...you just need a new mast, you don't need the motor. or you can buy a manual antenna to go in the stock location (this will go down at least). another option are the thin film types that stick to the inside of your windshield.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:09 PM
mayonaise

i could just replace the antenna mast... but i'd rather solve this problem permanently. if i replace it now, i'm going to have to replace it (or get it fixed) again in a few years. so i'd rather find a solution that won't die in a few years, even if it costs a little more. if it costs A LOT more, well then screw it.

McIntosh'd UA5:
tell me about this thin film that can be put on the inside of the windshield? do you have any more info on it? i hadn't heard of it before you mentioned..

if i can find an EX sedan windshield with the antenna built in from some junkyard (around my area.. i don't even want to know how much shipping on that would be), i'll be SOOO happy with that . never knew bout that option before.

thanks!! :thumbup:
Old 08-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thins film, you can get at RADIO SHACK, I used it for 3 years... was supposed to be a temporary before I get a replacement, but it worked so good, I left it...
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-20-2002, 12:50 PM
bonestock

in-the-glass antenna.. used to have them at radio shack but radio shack got rid of all their auto sh*t.

then u'd hafta spend a pretty penny welding the antenna hole and shaving it and repainting. for a while i just push the antenna all the way down and just unplugged the power but left the reception wire connected. radio still worked fine.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:02 AM
mayonaise

three words:

bondo, bondo, bondo...

eight words:

bondo, bondo, bondo, sandpaper, primer, paint, clear coat...

i did find out that at least the 96/97 accords (california) have no external antenna. it probably is in the rear windshield, but i haven't examined one carefully yet. i haven't checked if the 96/97 rear window will fit in a 94/95, but i imagine it would. either way, i hear its next to impossible to remove a front or rear windshield from a used car, because they are so well secured. they have to make it completely water tight, right, so its sealed with some kind of silicone-epoxy... usually when they replace a windshield they just break the old one out - this is from my experience. anyone ever seen anything else?

with a 96/97 rear windshield being somewhere between $300 and $425 alone... i doubt i would do this any time soon. other things are more important.. like my spriNGZZZ!

i've only been able to find a couple internal replacement antennas online. i'm not gonna buy something like that when i've never even seen it. so i gotta find some store around here that carries them...
Old 08-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Spyfunkr

I broke mine too. Had it shaved and used a $5 window antenna from Radio Shack. As bonestock said, they no longer carry them. I found this: http://www.discountmobilevideo.com/items/item59.htm on video.com. Hasnt come in yet. Mounts in rear window near top. Ill let you know how it works out.

-Spy
Old 08-22-2002, 07:14 AM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

im lucky, i have it in my rear windshield on my 94 ex. it happened on both of my sisters accords though. one has a 94 lx and the other has a 93 ex. both of them really dont care, so they just left it.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:30 AM
mayonaise

wow, i didn't know that the 94/95 ever came with the window antenna.. looking at the images hondaautomotiveparts.com's parts database, it seems like only the 96/97 has it.

i think what i said earlier about not being able to remove a windshield from a car might be wrong... but still not sure.

on a side note, i went to a car stereo shop to find out if they had any kind of alternative radio antennas... they were closed, but there was an idiot at the counter staring at me as i tried to open the door, which was right next to a still brightly lit neon 'OPEN' sign... i hate shops/people like that. :madfawk:

Quick Reply: antenna options