Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Anyone have a ScanGauge?

Old 12-06-2004, 01:15 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a ScanGauge?

Looks like an economical way to get a scan tool + gauges through OBD2. Anyone have it?

http://scangauge.com/

Old 12-12-2004, 02:25 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... I bought it. It's currently on sale for $99 shipped to US.

Here's my review:

WHAT IS IT?

Scanguage is a box (about 5" x 2.5" x 2") as seen above. It connect to the OBD2 connector of your car (so your car must have OBD2 to use it) and acts as these main things:

1) OBD2 code reading and clears codes
2) engine gauges for things like: RPM, MPH, MPG, intake temp, coolant temp, intake pressure (MAP), engine load, closed/open loop mode, etc.
3) trip meter and gas mileage recorder (average/max speed/mpg/etc)

WHAT'S IT GOOD FOR?

It's way better than a regular code reader, but costs more too. It's rather have this for the other features than a plain code reader though. This box is for someone who wants to add more "consumer level computer functions" that your car doesn't have (fuel economy, ave/max speed/mpg) plus some more diagnostic info like the engine sensors. If you ever wonder what kind of fuel economy you get an any given situation, this helps a lot. If you want to take a peek at the operation of your engine and spot problems as they arise BEFORE you damage your car further, this is for you. It's powered solely by the OBD2 port, so all you do is plug and play.

WHAT DOESN'T IT DO?

There's no data logging. This is NOT for a tuner. And although this this is useable as a gauge for your dash, it only updates the data every second which means you cannot rely on it for fast feedback things like tach, speedo, or intake pressure. But for normal driving it's great.

IS IT ANY GOOD?

Yeah, for $99 you get a reasonable amount of functionality. But it's not as good as a $300+ engine tuning reader for palm/pc. It's simple, and reasonably easy to use, but not that user friendly. It's fixed with the amber lit display (which can be turned off or adjusted for brightness). The WORST part of this thing is the horrifically ugly and totally unnecessary cheap plastic case. This thing looks like it's from the 70's.

I've opened it up and it's just a electronic board with an LCD display connected by ribbon cable, and mostly air; which means the box did not have to be so big, bulky, and ugly. I'm going to make my own better looking more compact case for it.