Notices

Why do I shift jerky when cold, smooth when warm?

Old 08-19-2002, 10:08 AM
rage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I shift jerky when cold, smooth when warm?

'99 EX I-4 5spd

My car jerks a lot when shifting in the morning. As soon as its warm, it shifts alot smoother. My grandpa has a 98 I-4 LX auto, and it shifts HELLA smooth when its COLD, ice cold.

My 20 year old beat-up nissan truck does not have this problem. My moms '97 subaru outback does not have this probem. My sisters 10 year old integra does not have this problem. (they are all 5spd)

Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:26 AM
rage

Never - bought the car used a week ago, don't know of service records.

Its going to my mechanic tomorrow morning. No, its not a certified honda shop blah blah blah but I trust him very much.

One thing thats interesting - I have read a number threads on this board that discuss changing the tranny fluid when things aren't right. My mechanic said that he was reluctant to change the tranny fluid, he said that it's unessisary 9 out of 10 times with manual trannys.

I have also read (here) that "flushing" a tranny can be major major bad? Something about stirring up spots dedicated for collecting debris? I am going to push to have the fluid replaced - but I am paranoid about flushing.

Thanks again for feedback.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:04 PM
rage

What is the best tranny fluid to buy for my honda? I think I remeber reading somewhere that generic stuff is NO GOOD for my honda tranny.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:04 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

when my car is cold and I just start it up and drive, my clutch engages rougher then needs be, but when it warms up it is smooth. I always let my car warm up before I drive. So that I see the idle is were it needs to be.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:17 AM
bbbradley

In the cooler months mine (99 5spd) is a bit notchy/crunchy on the 1-2 shift until it warms up. I am going to change the tranny fluid soon, but won't know if it does any good for a while. As a quick work-around I find a double clutch upshift smooths it out on cold mornings. Try changing the fluid and see if that helps. If you do it yourself, look at the old fluid for metallic particles, which may indicate another problem.

Comparing a slushbox to a manual is worthless, a properly operating slushbox will be very smooth, a properly operating manual, shifted poorly can be mechanical bull rough.
All gearboxes just feel different. I can tell you the Accord is so different from my other car, 2000 Miata, and also very different from my old BMW. It is hard to compare between different cars.

/bill
Old 08-20-2002, 08:34 AM
rage

when my car is cold and I just start it up and drive, my clutch engages rougher then needs be, but when it warms up it is smooth. I always let my car warm up before I drive. So that I see the idle is were it needs to be.
Right now its very warm where I live, It usually only takes about 20 sec for my car to hit normal idle. (looks like about 800?) Things are still stiff. After about 10 min on the freeway things get smoother tho.

In the cooler months mine (99 5spd) is a bit notchy/crunchy on the 1-2 shift until it warms up.
"notchy/crunchy" – that's exactly it! – good description. And I do mostly notice it on the 1-2 shift.

As a quick work-around I find a double clutch upshift smooths it out on cold mornings.
So that would mean be in first, clutch-in, neutral, clutch-out, small rev, clutch-in, second? I guess I don't really understand "double clutching." I always thought double clutching was what I had to do for my old truck – I have to shift into second for a sec before it wants to go into reverse (was like that when it was handed down – I don't think I messed the tranny up my self)

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:43 PM
BonzoAPD

bring it to be checked out. Maybe the fluid is dirty.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:02 AM
bbbradley

Originally posted by rage

"notchy/crunchy" – that's exactly it! – good description. And I do mostly notice it on the 1-2 shift.

So that would mean be in first, clutch-in, neutral, clutch-out, small rev, clutch-in, second? I guess I don't really understand "double clutching." I always thought double clutching was what I had to do for my old truck – I have to shift into second for a sec before it wants to go into reverse (was like that when it was handed down – I don't think I messed the tranny up my self)

Thanks for the replies.
That indeed is double-clutching, or at least what I am referring to. This is certainly not the normal application of the tecnique, but it works for me. The throttle blip will help smooth out the shift too.

/bill