Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Somewhat serious clutch issues

Old 12-02-2004, 05:34 AM
bambbrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat serious clutch issues

I just finished swapping a b16 into my 95 hatch.

Everything is working good and the engine runs great, except I'm having trouble with the tranny.

At first it drove fine for about 2 minutes, and then it started getting hard to put in gear. Started grinding and stuff. I figured that I just didn't bleed the clutch enough so we bled it more, still same problem, but it was intermittent. sometimes it'd go into gear perfect, and other times it wouldn't ever come close.

I drove it down to get gas, and on my way back I floored it in first to see what she was made of, and it popped out of gear in first and now the clutch won't engage.
It's permantently disengaged.

I can have it in gear with the car running with the clutch out and it doesn't do a thing. Any gear, 1 through 5. It just idles like it was in neutral

My guess is the pressure plate, but I was wondering if it can be anything else.
Anything you guys have heard of that would cause these symptoms?
I have been thinking more about this and I'm starting to think that it might be the throw out bearing also. Just because the way it popped out. Do throw out bearings pop off ever or pop out? Just trying to figure this out.

I ordered a new Action clutch, that will be going in this next week hopefully, but I want to verify that it's the clutch that is fawked, and that my tranny is gonna be alright.

Just to note, the clutch fork is definately working when you push the pedal down. I verified this personally. The issue has to be within the tranny or clutch setup. I'm praying the latter. Anybody had a similar problem ever?
I figure it's gotta be the throw out bearing or the diaphram on the pressure plate is stuck open.

thanks guys
Old 12-02-2004, 06:04 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

my friend had the same problem His clutch cylinder was broken that could be it or it can be your pressure plate
Old 12-02-2004, 06:09 AM
bambbrose

well if my clutch master cylinder was broken, wouldn't the shifter fork not move when the pedal is depressed?

Out on the tranny, when you push down the pedal, the shifter fork is definately moving, so I figure it has to be inside.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Civic2Scooby

sounds like a blown clutch....time for a new one.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
bambbrose

do clutches just "blow" all at once.. Like when I went down the street it just popped out of gear. if it popped out how would the clutch cause that?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by bambbrose
do clutches just "blow" all at once.. Like when I went down the street it just popped out of gear. if it popped out how would the clutch cause that?
yup...my buddy drove his car around all day, shut it off went inside, came back out to start his car, and the car would go into any gear without pushing the clutch in....pulled the tranny, and the throwout was shot and the clutch didnt look much better.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:39 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

When my clutch grenaded, it was popping out of gear, and finally wouldn't do anything in any gear. CM stage 3 disk was in 14 pieces.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Eddiebx

not to sound liek a dick, but could it be a simple axle slipping out? sometimes the stupidest things are overloooked, but goood luck
Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
not to sound liek a dick, but could it be a simple axle slipping out? sometimes the stupidest things are overloooked, but goood luck
:wtf: are you talking about...a slipping axle would have nothing to do with the problems he listed.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:19 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by b16LeiaEGcivic
:wtf: are you talking about...a slipping axle would have nothing to do with the problems he listed.
Uh... yeah it would, he just seems to be the only guy I know that it's happened to.