Notices

Optima Battery (worth the money?)

Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 PM
xIntegrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Battery (worth the money?)

does anyone here have an optima battery in their car instead of a regular battery? is it worth the money to get one, cuzz my car battery keeps on dying over night i have to jump start it to get my car running. just wanna know how does optima battery compare to a regular battery. even if i do get one, would it be best to get the RED-top or YELLOW-top ones, since i know the yellow top is for car with aftermaket stereo system. i mean is it practical to get a yellow top over a red top when all i need is just to start my car, and not to listen to music when the car is not running?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:48 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

by the sounds of it u should do some checkin on your car cause something is draining your battery and odds are you would have the same problem with an optima because ur talkin a good 8 hour period there...i dont think optimas have even that much reserve time in them...i bet u have a short somewhere in your electrical system
Old 12-01-2004, 06:52 PM
xIntegrax

well i forgot to mention that it happen recently when it really cold outside, under 40 degree. is it still a short, if it is how do i go on finding the short and fixing it?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:57 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

i work with mechanic shops all day long and i have yet to hear of a car battery just going dead over night because it was cold..i mean i live in northern michigan and its never happened to any of my cars so i doubt its because of the weather...and finding what it is is an absolute nightmare...best bet on that one would be take it to a shop somewhere, otherwise u would be searching for a long time
Old 12-01-2004, 07:38 PM
slater442w30
Honda newbie

The cold weather just helps kill a dying battery but wont affect a good battery, period. Thats why the battery has cranking amps and cold cranking amps listed on it. And Optimas totally SUCK ASS!!!! My Wal Mart Ever Start battery has never failed and I have had three optimas.....pure shit, my brother has had 4 replaced in his truck under warranty, what a waste of time, he went back to an interstate, also an excellent battery. Just avoid Optimas and les schwabs batterys.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Singhg83
BALLIN'

how old is your alternator?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:38 PM
jjang

finding the source of the problem would take forever. i sent my car to my friend's shop because of an electrical problem and it took them 2 days and 2 other shops to find the problem. i would go with interstate batteries instead of optima...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 AM
xIntegrax

Originally Posted by Singhg83
how old is your alternator?
i got my car 2 year ago, so i think the alternator has never been replace. but if it the alternator, then my car wouldn't run then (correct me if im wrong) even if i jump start the car, it run perfectly.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:28 AM
BONE

You never said how old the battery is the average battery last 4 years so it could be just the battery. If you are really concerned take your car to an auto shop and have them run an electrical check and that will determine the exact problem as far as Optima batteries being worth the money if your not into alot of audio and sound save your money I have a Autozone battery in my car 40.00 dollars and still going strong after 3 years in my car.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:57 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I like mine. It's a starter/deep cycle. It will not die! I've left my lights on numerous times, and it always starts up quick and easy.
Plus I like having premium stuff.