Notices

ITR rally report.....

Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Rene M
Austin Texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR rally report.....

Some you may have known and most did not but we went to our first Rally events this weekend. It was up in Paris Texas and cold as hell. We took the newly formed CRC Rally team up there and did very well. Our driver is 17 years old and has never driven in a Rally before and the co driver was our very own Zack ( G stock) he also has never been in a Rally either. Brian and i have gone and pitted for a team before so we had a bit of experience but not nearly enough to put a team in the position we did..
Before i talk about how we did let me talk about the car.
This is an Integra Type R 98 speck USDM she is stone stock.
The only non stock parts are the shocks, springs, brake lines,fuel lines, and brake pads. A speck Rally cage has been installed and any thing that can burn had to be removed by the rules. This car still has power windows, front and rear wipers, heater assm, even the rear defrost still works... The engine is stock, and uses the stock ITR intake and exhaust right down to the paper air filter..
In a word......STOCK..............
The first day ( day event)
We ran well.. The car was bullet proof all day all we did at service was clean the car and work on other teams cars trying to keep them in the race. The rate of destruction was very great 5 cars lost it all from damage or catastrophic failures ( including the team we pitted for last spring) . Several had to drug out of a lake a few were motor failures two were just major broken stuff.. we helped three teams stay in by working on their cars with their team but the rest were just beyond help. We won production class ( we were the only people in production as well and it is the slowest class) and placed 4th overall in the day light Rally in a field of 17 teams ( 2 were pro Rally teams).
So we looked good and ran right with the pace of the fastest cars.. not bad for a stock car...

That night was a separate Rally. (The night Rally) Spooky.....
Once again the car ran well all night we only had two problems. A rally car has a trip clock that uses a magnetic pick up on a wheel to get a good measure of ground speed because the co drivers stage instructions are written in how many miles until the next event ( turn, bump, jump etc). Our magnet fell off the hub ( do to a huge amount of rocks bouncing around the hub) and had to be replaced.
The co driver Zack lost all mph and miles readings and was still able to give very accurate directions to David which we stayed on pace with the rest of the field. The pro team was at 7.06 and we were at 7.46 not to bad? By the way second fastest time on this stage was 7.35 so we were dead on.......... This Rally consisted of 4 stages each around 7 miles long give or take.. On the third stage the rear stepped out and the car went off track in to some brush and had to be pulled out this cost us a bunch of time and we lost off of the flood lights and pod they were all destroyed. The car on the other hand was still operational and we were allowed to run the last leg and complete the rally. Since all of our competition was now DOA we still won the class of production and placed 13th over all.
Had we not gone brush hopping we would of been real close to 4th over all once again. The last stage was run at a slower rate since we no longer had any bright lights so we were 2 min off the pace ( still not bad for driving in the dark with nothing but stock lights).

So this was a learning experience for us and a good one at that we came in blind as a bat but still pulled out some great times and surprised the hell out of a bunch of people. We did so well that we have been invited to an invitation only event in mid February up in Salem Mass its a big event and you must be invited to come.. So i guess we need to find some more lights a sponser or two would not hurt either..
Rene
Old 11-28-2004, 06:12 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heartiest congratulations on the excellent performance, and many thanks for coming here to share the experience with us.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:26 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Yeah.! It's awesome that you guys are out doin it in the cold. I really wish Rally's were bigger, so best of luck to your team.
I hope the car stays strong and the drivers keep thier heads in it.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:00 PM
airon
AARONNOJIMA.COM

thats awesome that you were able to participate and do well in the event
best of luck for the future and keep us updated!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Rene M
Austin Texas

I am happy to say that we will have some in car video real soon on line..