Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

elusive oil leak

Old 11-28-2004, 04:54 AM
woodygo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elusive oil leak

I have a small oil leak that I am having a hard time tracking down. This is on a '92 prelude with the h23 engine. It is particularly bad because it drips directly on the exhaust pipe and burns off with an awful smell. It is coming from above the oil pan and appears to be from the oil cooler. I thought it was the oil filter itself but now it looks like it is beneath that. Is there a seal in or under there? Is there anything I can tighten up? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
civichatch977

i had the same problem with my civic
check the oil filter seal. i just had a small piece of the old seal stuck so the new filter wouldnt completly seal
Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 PM
hybrid_EG6

Not real sure if the h series have them or not but if it has a crank case breather on the back of the block then you might want to check that. (The black box on the back of the block.) Been having the same problem with LS Vtec in my car, so i know what your talkin about.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:18 AM
woodygo

It was the o-ring that seals the oil cooler to the block. A $4.00 part and no more mess! Thanks.