Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

swapping engine need help

Old 11-24-2004, 08:59 AM
rsxstunna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping engine need help

I have a 97 civic hatch automatic.
I bought an engine from 00 civic ex. standard
I got the engine, tranny, axles, shift linkage and ecu

Because of lack of funds I am installing the engine to my automatic transmission.

the question is am I going to have a problem with the ecu and the auto tranny also can you guys help my with the vtec wiring thanx.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
rsxstunna

n-e help
Old 11-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Your going to have issues since the new motor is a '00. Starting in '99, Honda swtiched to a different version of OBD II (typically callled OBD IIb as opposed to the '96-'98 Civic's OBD IIa). I know there are some wiring differences between the two but I don't know all the specifics. Your going to be stuck using the '97 automatic's ECU because '00 one won't control the automatic transmission so the wiring shouldn't be too difficult (just unplug and replug) however VTEC isn't going to work becuase the '97 ECU won't have controls for it (you could find a '96-'98 automatic VTEC ECU but that's more money for just a temp solution). Honestly, unless you '97's engine has failed and needs immedate replacement, just stick with non-VTEC engine until you have enough money to do the swap correctly and completely.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.