Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Easy way to put a OBD1 Engine into OBD2 Car?

Old 11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy way to put a OBD1 Engine into OBD2 Car?

Hmmm...Quick question...whats the easiest way i would go about putting an OBD1 B18C GSR into my 96 EK EX.... I found a great deal on a full swap and ive never done a swap like this before... ive been sticking with the same OBD years for my last 2 swaps. (EG with B18B OBD1 and EK with B16B both from Hmotorsonline )

Should i just change out the dizzy, alternator, injectors, etc... or can i just do the conversion harness? which would be cheaper and easier on my part. I dont really want any codes thrown and im not sure if the harness will throw codes or not.

Thanks if anyone has done this swap and can give me some info to put this in with little problems id greatly appreciate it
Old 11-23-2004, 05:19 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/inde...howtopic=29815

And I posted a bunch of links about this recently. Searching will uncover a lot on the topic.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:06 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

just get an OBD2 to OBD 1 conversion harness
Old 11-23-2004, 06:35 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

so if i got a covnersion harness it shouldnt throw any codes then?

*WCS I did search i came up with mostly EG stuff*
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Since your car is a '96+ Civic, you must reuse your Civic's on engine harness. This isn't much of an issue except there are places it won't plug into the new engine, specifically the one's you mentioned, distributor and injectors. You can either use B-series OBD I versions of these or find a way to make it work (injectors would just need the clips, I've heard of the distrib being rewired to work but I don't know what's involved, there will probably be others). Your also obviously going to need an OBD I ECU and an OBD II to OBD I conversion harness (if you use your '96's engine wiring harness, OBD IIa or '96-'98 OBD II). You can't use an OBD II computer because the new engine won't have sensors the OBD II ECU requires (specifically a second O2 senosr and a CFK sensor).

That's the mechancial parts, the legal issue is different. In CA, you can only use an engine that's the same year or newer than your car (and I'm sure the rule continues to other states even though it's dumb). Also, by using an OBD I ECU, the diagnostic port under the dash will no longer function. Some emissions/inspection places sometimes hookup to this to check for codes before testing a car, and will fail you if the ECU doesn't respond. You don't list where you live but rules are different for every state and even every county sometimes. Check with the local emissions/inspection place you'll end up taking your car to to find out what hoops you have to jump through, if any.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

i live in sierra vista az, and we have no emissions here what so ever...

and thank you andy that was exactly what i was looking for but had the hardest time searching for it! again thank you
Old 11-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

We have no emissions where I'm at in PA either but I'm worried about my 240/SR20 swap if I ever decide to move.

I've personally never put an OBD I engine in an OBD IIa car before, so I can't tell you exactly what needs to be done, but I would recommend picking up the Helm's manuals for both your car and the car your engine is from and with the wiring diagrams in both, you should be able to figure just about anything out. Their worth having regardless but will really come in handly for that wiring conversion.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.