Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

'92 Prelude cuts out at full throttle??

Old 11-21-2004, 04:39 PM
woodygo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 Prelude cuts out at full throttle??

I am looking to purchase a '92 Prelude Si, 5 speed, with 152K miles that seems to be in excellent condition with one exception. If you push the throttle to the floor the engine will completely cut out, regardless of what gear you are in or what the RPM's are. If you press the accelator up to about 90% to full throttle it accelerates extremely well with no hesitation at all. But go that last bit to the floor and it dies, but it comes right back when you back off the throttle a little. What kind of problem might this indicate and is it something that should have me walkin away from this deal? Thought maybe the Throttle Position Sensor could be the problem but I never thought this sensor could have that much effect on the engine. Any ideas would bee appreciated. Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Check the throttle position sensor. Test the resistances at idle and wot.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:38 PM
pomansouth

also check timing, check the dizzy and all wires in it for secure connections, and also besure that the plugs and wires are in good shape. check the rotor and cap while in the dizzy.