Notices

Quality replacement radiator

Old 11-12-2004, 05:09 PM
ChrisGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality replacement radiator

Well, at 99K on the clock, the radiator in the GSR has started to weep from the top crimp seal. Can't tell if it's a failed tank gasket or a hairline crack in the plastic tank, but what I do know is that it's time to shop for a rad.

Preferably a rad with metal tanks! Whoever invented these plastic-tank units (Mattel?) should be put to hard labor changing the effing things out.

In terms of cooling capacity, the stock rad was doing great. Even on boiling hot summer days, the needle didn't budge past the nominal zone. If I could get this unit re-tanked with metal at a reasonable cost, I'd just do that. Unfortunately, that does not look like an option.

So what I'm seeing out there is pretty much threefold:

(a) OEM clones w/aluminum cores and plastic tanks;

(b) aftermarket copper-brass cores with metal tanks
(example: the heavy duty option from Radiator Barn);

(c) spendy racing units with aluminum cores & metal tanks
(example: Fluidyne).

I don't want fragile plastic tanks again, so (a) is out.

Copper-brass cores are a lot heavier than the original aluminum core. Weight matters, especially right up front. Also, the Rad Barn heavy-duty unit is about a third of an inch thicker than stock, and to my eye that looks like a fan clearance problem waiting to happen. New fans? No thanks.

Fluidynes are amazing and beautiful, but I frankly don't need the capability, and don't want to shoulder the cost (plenty of unanticipated bills this month) so cross off (c).

Jeebus, does *any* company make an OEM-size aluminum core with honest metal tanks welded/brazed on? Someone on hondatech claimed he had a Modine unit for his Teg that was "all aluminum", so I looked into that.

Modine phone tech support told me that their Integra radiator is "a copper brass core, just like the factory stock is".

Er, I don't think so! <click> I prefer to do business with companies that know what they're talking about.

Am I missing an option here? Any recommendations or any cautions for the prudent radiator shopper?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:15 PM
tonto0808

Contact your dealer or American Honda and get on them. I too had the exact same problem with mine, a crack in the plasastic in the exact same spot. I got a hold of my dealer, then got corporate involved. They ended up paying for a new OEM aluminum radiator geniune honda parts. They also covered labor. I just got on them. I wasn't rude or anything just firm. I explained my situation and explained to them that under normal operating conditions the radiator shouldn't crack and as you agree plastic should never have been used. Honda is generally more than happy to assist its customers in these situations.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:17 PM
tonto0808

i forgot to add my new radiator isn't plastic at all, i assured honda i did not want another
Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 AM
ChrisGSR

Originally Posted by tonto0808
Honda is generally more than happy to assist its customers in these situations.
Tonto, that's a pretty amazing story, and credit to you for pushing them to do the right thing. I think that's the first and only case I know of for Honda of N/A doing a goodwill replacement of a radiator; my understanding is that they think it's a routine wear item.

What age and mileage did you have the busted rad replaced at? Have you been paying for factory servicing all along? That's the kind of response I would expect from a younger, low-mileage car which has been seen at the service bay regularly.

By contrast, this vehicle is eight years old and just about to roll 100K on the odometer, and I have done all my own wrenching and maintenance.

The only things which I would expect for Honda to pay for as warranty work at this advanced age and mileage would be (a) seatbelt and airbag problems, which they seem to take seriously at any time for liability reasons, or (b) stuff related to emissions, as they settled a case with the EPA and CARB by agreeing to extend the emissions warranty to 150K.

If I've got that wrong, I'd certainly appreciate hearing about it!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:57 AM
dubcac
I

Mine went bad around 80k I think. I bought an OEM radiator from someone on the board for $100 and did the work myself. Koyo makes replacements that are metal, PWR, Fluidyne, etc.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM
sstearns2

Do all years of GS-R have the same radiator design?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-14-2004, 11:15 AM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by sstearns2
Do all years of GS-R have the same radiator design?

Thanks,

Scott
94-01 are all the same, I'm not sure about the 92-93.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:11 PM
tonto0808

my radiator was replaced at a little over 70,000 miles. the car had been routinely serviced at honda dealerships though. the radiator was replaced by a different dealership than i usually get my service done at as I was in a different town when it cracked and overheated. the dealer never asked or mentioned anything about where service had been done, as did not corporate management who actually made the decision to replace it. I do not believe they even had access to my records as a dealership did. I understood it that the dealership would cover the expense and they would get a reimbursement from honda. my father had an issue with his odessy, a valve or cylinder head had a knock in it. his vehicle had 70,000 miles too and had just run out of certified warranty. he too was persistent and honda gave him practically an entire new motor with new block and all. all he had too pay for was half the labor. all i can say is it can't hurt to try the worst they can say is no
Old 11-22-2004, 04:58 PM
ChrisGSR

Originally Posted by tonto0808
all i can say is it can't hurt to try the worst they can say is no
Well, I asked an SM at a local dealership to take it up with Acura corporate.

The gist of the complaint was that if Integra radiators fail with almost 100% certainty before reaching 120K in mileage, then the rad should be listed as a routine replacement component in the maintenance schedule. A new unit should be put in well before the original is likely to blow its seams.

After all, a rad failure can result in frankly severe consequences. We've all heard the stories about car-illiterate SOs, friends and family who kept driving even when the temp gauge was into the red, and consequently melting the motor.

And even if you're smart enough to pull over when you notice the overheat beginning, having that happen is not a pleasant experience, especially not if you happen to be out in the middle of nowhere. I've been stranded enough times by breakdowns in my life that I don't have any tolerance for it any longer -- so I buy reliable vehicles and maintain them meticulously.

Anyway, Acura declined to offer any consideration on the failed rad.