Notices

2005 RSX Type-S Test Drive

Old 11-10-2004, 12:22 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RSX Type-S Test Drive

well i just came back from the local acura dealership today
went with a good friend of mine and his dad, he was looking to test drive the new RSX Type-S
i was looking to buy
He went first and i took it for a spin afterwards
first thing i noticed was how Heavy it felt but it really does hug the road, maybe because it's got fat 17 inch tires/wheels
well to tell you guys the truth i wasn't at all impressed. Acura states 210 hp but i didn't feel them at all, mostly down low...a litle more grunt
maybe im just not used to the i-VTEC system, isn't there a specific rpm at which the VTEC engages fully because i know i-VTEC changes lift duration and timing at all rpms...but i could feel VTEC after 1st gear...but i could definitely hear it
it was loud!!!! and i mean whoooooommmm low grunt sounded mean though...clean
o well maybe i'll wait and see if the DC5 ITR will be imported then i'll make my decision about the "new" Integra, but the new Type-S .....not impressed.
anyways just wanna share my experience with you guys
sorry if it's so dang long
Old 11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

I drove an 04 with less than $1500 under the hood (AEM V2, JR 'Race' Header, GReddy catback, Hondata reflash) and I was severely impressed.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:26 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
well i just came back from the local acura dealership today
went with a good friend of mine and his dad, he was looking to test drive the new RSX Type-S
I am not sure why this is in the ITR Forum (which refers to DC2), but, anyway....

I have driven both the '03 USDM DC5 Type S and the '05 USDM DC5 Type S and I was lucky enough to be allowed to drive them enthusiastically.

The '05 USDM DC5 Type S is a different animal when driven hard. On paper, it's only 10 HP more than the year before, but the torque is spread throughout the rev range. Remember, the DC5 ITR motor is only 220 HP.

The USDM '05 Type S computer programming is different from previous years, and the cams are DC5 ITR cams. There are many, many small improvements that make the car a completely different animal and a real pleasure--but perhaps you'll only notice that when it's driven enthusiastically.

It's still a McPherson strut front drive car...but Honda/Acura has made many small changes to the suspension so that the alignment (and car direction!) are less affected by the vagaries of the track or by bouncing off a gater.

IMHO, it's a very decent car for the money.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

im not saying it's a bad car, or not worth the money...
oh no its worth every penny if i could afford another car, but it was hyped up too much
reading up about it and noticing all the small and large changes to the car, it was expecting something rather a little more different...maybe more extreme....but it's still a pure sports wrapped in a luxury shell....still got my fingers crossed for the DC5 ITR
i'll take mine CW
Old 11-16-2004, 01:10 AM
George Knighton

I know what you mean, but I don't think you're going to see another "raw" homologation special like the DC2 ITR was.

There's just no reason for it.

The DC5 meets all FIA Group N homologation requirements just as it is, and I don't think Honda wants to get trapped into losing money on cars again, as they did with the too-custom DC2 ITR.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:40 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yeah true true
i guess if they do import the DC5 R they'll proly have to drop the type S line up as well
maybe that's why no CTR neither
o well one can dream....
Old 11-17-2004, 01:44 AM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
yeah true true
i guess if they do import the DC5 R they'll proly have to drop the type S line up as well
maybe that's why no CTR neither
o well one can dream....
The issue's not very clear cut.

For about three years, Honda NA has had permission to market a car in the USDM that might appear to compete with the Acura RSX Type S, so everyone felt that the EP3 CTR was on the way.

However, the issue got complicated very quickly because the USDM EP3 Si is the one of the least popular Hondas ever, and some people are not convinced that giving it more HP is the answer.

They're stickering a $16,000 good buy at $20,000, which makes it a bad buy and makes it much harder to fit the CTR into the marketing plan. Evidently they couldn't suck it up and admit the EP3 Si should've just cost a little less.

A huge marketing problem in the enthusiasts market right now is the fact that people are dropping the DC5 and EP3 lines in favour of other lines for their racing projects.

I don't know whether you noticed, but one of the Real Time Racing DC5 cars ended up on eBay (!!) just the other day, and bit names like Real Time, Spoon Sports and many others are beginning to field CL7 sedans (K motors and double wishbones) in place of the EP3 and DC5 (K motors saddled with McPherson struts).

A McPherson strut FF car allows you to redesign the crush zones for better safety, allows you to build the car more easily and more cheaply. But replacement suspensions will be more expensive for the end user, and the basic suspension design is a poor one for racing (for an FF car). It will work for Porsches, but not Hondas. I think that the last straw was when Ichisima went public with a statement that the DC5 and EP3 were hopeless as racing vehicles, and referred to them as a reworked van chassis.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
ShaolinLueb

Originally Posted by George Knighton
A McPherson strut FF car allows you to redesign the crush zones for better safety, allows you to build the car more easily and more cheaply. But replacement suspensions will be more expensive for the end user, and the basic suspension design is a poor one for racing (for an FF car). It will work for Porsches, but not Hondas. I think that the last straw was when Ichisima went public with a statement that the DC5 and EP3 were hopeless as racing vehicles, and referred to them as a reworked van chassis.
oh man thats harsh. but funny.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
h22afreak
IN BOOST WE TRUST.

I swapped a 04 rsx type s into an integra
and it pulls hard,i was truely impressed.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 PM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by h22afreak
I swapped a 04 rsx type s into an integra
and it pulls hard,i was truely impressed.
What transmission are you using?