Notices

technical help with oem alarm needed!

Old 08-17-2002, 01:30 PM
motu
it ain't easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default technical help with oem alarm needed!

My dad has a 99 EX that came with the factory Honda alarm. Its got about 53000 miles on it so its out of warranty, but we're having problems with the alarm. The way its supposed to work is when you hit the unlock button on the remote, it disarms it, just like with any other alarm. However, it doesn't seem to be disarming completely...when we push the unlock button, it unlocks the doors and lets you in, but when you put the key in the ignition and try to turn the car on, it starts beeping at you (the alarm goes off). You have to pull the key out real quick and push the unlock button a few times to get it to shut up. It will repeat this a couple times maybe and finally it will fully disarm. The problem is intermittent- sometimes you get in the car and can drive off no problem. Sometimes it only does it once and when you try a second time it works again. Sometimes (as in the case last night at about 2:00 in the morning), you have to try a couple times before it works. I'm not sure what gets it working, but we basically have been hitting unlock a whole bunch of times between tries. Its very annoying though and last night I probably woke up all of my friend's neighbors as I left his house. I talked to the service guy at my dealership and he said it might be a battery problem, but the car hasn't had or doesn't seem to have any other battery problems. It cranks up normally (doesn't require more cranking than just turning the key). The service guy said turn your lights on for a few seconds before you start the car, then start it and see if it is struggling to start...I did that but still no problems. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:26 PM
motu
it ain't easy

anybody?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:08 AM
smakdown

I had similar symptoms with my alarm system on my 94 accord a few months ago. A wire had came loose out of its connector in the alarm circuit and 2 fuses blew because of it. On my 94 all of the fuses and wires are underneath the steering wheel and a little to the left. I don't know exactly where it is on 6 gens but i would check under there for loose wires and blown fuses.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:08 PM
motu
it ain't easy

I think its the battery. I was working on his car today. (putting my old cd changer into his car). I had the doors open and the lights were on and working fine, but when I went to turn the car on to move it when I was done, it wouldn't crank. Its the original battery and the car now has 53000 miles so I think its time for a new one...the battery in my 98 did the same thing at about the same mileage...I'm gonna take it to Sears tomorrow and get a new one and hopefully the alarm situation will get fixed also.