Notices

Need Help Diagnosing '01 GSR

Old 11-07-2004, 12:44 PM
MountainGSR
Irisher than Thou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Diagnosing '01 GSR

About 2 weeks ago I ran the Teg down to probably the last .2 gallons of gas in the tank. I knew I was low, but it didn't stutter or anything, so I waited until the morning to fill the tank. When I came out the next day it wouldn't start, so I got a gas can and filled it. After the pump ran a little bit and got more gas back into the system it took a couple of turns to get it running, but it started.

Since then the car has gotten progressively harder to start and the last couple days won't turn over at all. My first thought was that the fuel filter got clogged from junk at the bottom of the tank, but push/roll starting works fine, which I wouldn't think would work if the fuel supply was restricted.

So my next thought is the starter, but it seems odd that it would coincide with the fuel running low, unless turning it over on E burned it out. This is my best lead so far.

I thought it might be the battery, but it can run the stereo for several hours without showing any sign of dying (fuel pump still sounds strong, headlights still bright) except for not starting.

Also, there is no CEL, so no codes to provide clues. Any diagnoses? Any help?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you physically check the fuel filter? I would do that.

Check the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion and burnt terminals. That is most likely the culprit. Check the wires and spark plugs while you are at it.

I highly doubt it is the starter. They last much longer than that.