Notices

How to change pads/rotors w/pics

Old 11-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Importbuyer
Want to buy a lude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change pads/rotors w/pics

It seems like there have been alot of threads thru time asking the same question,how to replace pads and rotors,well,maybe you should sticky this link?
http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/brakesus/5.html
It has details and pictures which work well together

Only inaccuracy i saw was that it said "It is highly recommended that you use NEW BRAKE PADS when you install new rotors. "

Very common msiconception,correct me if im wrong,but all pads and rotors work better when seasoned. Especially when working with aftermarket performance rotors and pads. Install either new rotors or pads first,do several hard brakes from about 60 to 0,and put a few hundred miles on them,THEN replace the other part(pads or rotors,whichever you didnt put on first time),and repeat the process again. It is supposed to help mate the surfaces to each other,and common sense says two brand new surfaces wont mate well for a long time,if ever...
I found out the hard way,hopefully this saves somone else the trouble.

Also,just check out this site along with the forums on here before asking those really simple basic questions that have been asked a thousand times before.
http://www.g2ic.com/index2.php
http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/ is a great place to get some tips that may not be so easy to find elsewhere,leak problems,and other diy projects,most with pictures.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:55 AM
TrappistJD

While were on this subject. I did mine recently and I noticed in the factory manual that there were shims that go behind the pad. They were missing and I did not replace them. Also, is molykote for squeal? I didnt use any of that either.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
ls_101
integra fs

use brake quiet when installing pads- that stops the squeal--shims arent needed w/ quality replacements
Old 11-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Tobra

What I did was rub used pads on the rotors and pads prior to install. New pads and rotors together are not bad, that was what the car came with, you just have to break them in right
Old 11-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Importbuyer
Want to buy a lude

yes the car came with new pads and rotors,but when you start to use real performance parts,they have to be broken in differently...google search "seasoning brake pads" and you will see what i mean,youd be surprised how many people put on performance stuff,and arent getting the full effect because of lack of knowledge...
If you dont believe me,google it.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Tobra

True, but the cars that come with high performance pads and rotors, for example an Enzo or a 911 with the ceramic rotors break in without using "used' parts
Old 11-05-2004, 03:02 PM
XSrcing

how to properly brake in brake pads:

1. using moderate pedal pressure, brake from 55-60mph down to 10-15mph; reapeat 4-6 times.

2. allow brakes to cool for 5-10 minutes while vehicle is in motion; avoid using the brakes.

3. repeat STEP 1 with hard pedal pressure.

4. allow brakes to cool for 10-15 minutes while vehicle is in motion; avoid using the brakes.

5. park vehicle without using the emergency brake until the brake system has returned to ambient temperatures. it is best to allow brake pads to temper overnight.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Added it to the sticky in the civic section: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...22#post1558622