Notices

Most bang for the buck

Old 11-02-2004, 09:51 PM
slater442w30
Honda newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most bang for the buck

I am new to small cars and bought my integra for driving to work and it is terribly slow, it is a 92 integra rs with a 1.8 non vtec, 188,000 miles manual tranny, I changed the following the night I got it home (about 5 months ago) Timing belt, water pump, rotor, cap, plugs, wires, fuel oil and air filters, valve cover gasket. I was getting 35 mpg at first now it gets maybe 21. I want to know what will make the car faster without losing any more fuel mileage because my full size pontiac gets the same mileage as this thing but the pontiac is faster. I have heard header will help a lot and I saw throttle body spacers on ebay tonight, are they any good? will the throttle body spacer add 3 mpg as claimed? I already have a high flow muffler on there with a blown out cat and I cant change the oxygen sensor so a header will probably go in to remedy that problem I just want to know if they add 14 hp as claimed and if so what brand do I want to buy, there is a lot of cheap looking junk out there and i want to keep this car if I can make it do what I want it to do. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Eyal @ A.C.I.
Chassis Innovations

Your only hope for real power is forced induction. Of course, you're not going to be satisfied with the cost, or MPG that comes with this. To mod an NA motor, your pretty much going to have to decide on fuel economy, or more power (and not much at that) if you want power, look into retrofitting Vtec, look into cams, look into Port/polished head, with a good valve grind, maybe 5 angle, or even fully radiused. Also, you may be able to have the head milled a certain amount to increase compression. Sounds like you have already ditched that cat, that frees up a bit. Headers will help, but claims like 14 HP are quite hard to swallow, especially for an NA non Vtec motor. You may pick up a few by reprogramming the ECU.
Others with more experience on serious tuning may be able to help further.
~Eyal
Old 11-03-2004, 05:44 AM
intjinfj

The parts that you changed should not give you worse gas mileage. Those things should give you much better gas mileage. That is a tuneup and those only help to give you better MPG. What grade of gas do you use. Are you driving it harder now than before thinking that it should go faster? Not sure why you would get worse mpg that sounds fishy. Just wondering, but when you replaced the timing belt, you made sure the the cam gears were in the right postion before you put it on? Bad timing can really affect a cars performance and give worse gas mileage. You can also take the car to Autozone or any parts superstore and they will read your ECU for any weird things if there are any. It is free so why not , as far as gaining power out of your engine. With the miles that this engine has, have a compression test or a leak down test to see how healthy the motor is. The b18c1 which is the Vtec motor compression is supposed to be around 180-200 not sure about the b18b but you can look that info up on the web, and a good leak down is no more than a 10% loss. Just some things to check before you actually decide to put money into this car. Have fun hope that this helps.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:53 AM
xfactor

ya that is kind of fishy...you are the first person ive ever known to call an integra terribly slow....which leads me to believe that there is somethin wrong with the engine...check all the timing and do the compression test and go from there
Old 11-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It sounds like your engine has very poor compression numbers. It's probably time for a rebuild or replacement.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:37 PM
slater442w30
Honda newbie

Okay, I have gone through three used throttle position sensors and this is most likely the cause, my brother hooked up a snap on diagnostic computer and it showed tps and oxygen sensors were bad. We hooked it up an hour later and no codes showed then? My muffler shop said the oxygen sensor wouldnt cause my problem, my car idles really shitty most of the time but it gets better mileage then. I bought a used tps and it ran great but started eating gas like crazy. I have since been through 2 more used tps's I cant buy a new tps, I called 12 stores and the dealer, they all say all I can get is a new throttle body for 470 dollars, fck that!!! That is out of my budget at this time, I just want to get to work without going broke. why cant I buy this thing by itself? And timing is dead on, I used an Acura chassis manual and timed it in with my snap on timing light. The compression is 190 even across all 4 cylinders. By the way the computer reads no trouble codes now but it is idling bad again, I want to beat the computer with a hammer.......Could it be the culprit? Not very likely but I am stuck in the 70's with my old cars and they only take one wire to make the car run so I am lost and counting on you guys to show me the light before I give up.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:04 PM
worm696

could be a number of things, but Kai is prob right. run a compression test or have one done if you cant/dont know how. come back and tell us results.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Did you actually adjust the new TPS's? An out of adjustment TPS will make your car eat gas like mad.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:58 PM
j87w

How do you check if the TPS is bad.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by j87w
How do you check if the TPS is bad.
Use a multimeter on it and check the voltage through the full throttle movement. Dead spots and spikes indicate a bad TPS.

(I've had my fun with TPS's, RX-7's are notoriously bad for them)