Notices

'95 integra starting problem

Old 10-31-2004, 10:05 PM
ska32198

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 integra starting problem

Well heres the story

I went over to a friends house (car was just fine, no battery light or anything) and came out about 4 hours later (like 30-40 degrees outside) tried to start my car, turned the key and all the lights came on just fine and went to start it and all I got was this clicking sound. I tried it a couple more times and that was still all I got. I then looked under the hood, cleaned off the positive battery terminal (had alot of blue junk on it) tried it again and still just the clicking, now i'm really frustrated, went back and cleaned the terminal some more and jiggled the positive cable a little, went back to my car, and turned the key, after like 2 seconds of clicking the starter kicked in and the car started, not wanting to tempt fate I drove home and when I got there I tried starting it a few more times and it worked just fine. the strange thing was the clock in the dash was reading one o'clock and I usually keep this thing set perfectly and it was around 11:30. Any ideas on what this is and if I should be worried?

THX!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
dubcac
I

Try charging the battery.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:06 AM
SROL
...!

I have a 95 Integra Special Edition as well. I have the same problem. There's nothing wrong with the battery or alternator. I have a feeling it has something to do with the alarm system it has in it. The only problem is that I don't know if my alarm system came with the car or if the previous owner installed it. I'm it's new owner and this problem has happened twice now.
Every once in a while, when I go to start it, all I get is a click from the Starter. It's not trying to turn over or engage or anything. The battery is fine and it did the same thing when I tried to jump it. If AAAnybody has any idea what causes this I'd really like to know because it's veeery incovenient.

EDIT I found this, maybe it's the problem/solution?
http://yotarepair.com/Electrical.html
It's the same problem I'm having but it's on a Toyota.. can't be too different.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 AM
IrishBrewer

Did you remove the positive battery cable to clean off the terminal? That would explain the clock getting reset.

Sounds like it could be your starter. They start clicking a bit before going totally bad. They will work intermittently then go kaput altoghether. However, a weak battery can give similar symptoms so you'll want to eliminate that possibility first.

You can go to a parts store like Autozone to get your battery checked for free. They can check alternators and starters as well but they usually have to do this with the part out of the car.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Vanishing

It's you're starter. Same thing happened to me, replaced my starter and solenoid and works like a charm now.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:25 AM
ska32198

Sorry I took so long to post, schools kept me really busy. I cleaned the battery terminals and took out the fuses for my amps and I havent had a problem since... Mabye I should have my starter checked too...
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM
SROL
...!

I pulled the solenoid out of the starter, cleaned it up and so far haven't had the problem either.

I mainly just sanded down the little bronze/gold/copper piece on the solenoid and sprayed it with WD-40. Dried it off and popped it back in there. Starts with no problem now... or so it seems since the problem didn't happen all the time.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:10 PM
idol4232003

i had a similar problem with my accord before. sometimes it would start, sometimes it wont, sometimes it will start consistently for a whole week, then it wont anymore....just a click when u turn the ignition. battery was good. turns out it was the starter contacts (those lil half-moon shaped things inside the starter) just wore out over time. replaced those for $35.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
dispropimphoez

i got the same problem but my starter is fine, mine only does it once it sits for awhile. my starter signal wire has a small amount of voltage all the time, its at like .36 then when i try to start it only 11.64 volts flow thru da wire, which it needs 12v to turn over. Once its warm n driven around tho its fine after that. Anybody has any ideas bout why my starter signal wire has voltage full time?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:26 AM
OregonHusker

Originally Posted by SROL
I pulled the solenoid out of the starter, cleaned it up and so far haven't had the problem either.

I mainly just sanded down the little bronze/gold/copper piece on the solenoid and sprayed it with WD-40. Dried it off and popped it back in there. Starts with no problem now... or so it seems since the problem didn't happen all the time.
I did the same thing in September 2003 and haven't had a problem since.