Notices

DIY Icebox

Old 10-30-2004, 03:06 PM
dubcac
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Icebox

Well after hydrolocking last week during a monsoonal downpour and almost kissing my motor goodbye, and the mounting bracket arm ripping off of my CAI and creating a hole years ago (which I sealed with a rubber sleeve and hose clamps), I decided it was time to kiss my CAI goodbye. I thought of cutting it into a short ram, and then I got an idea of a DIY icebox. Would the cone K&N filter fit inside the OEM airbox? Hrmm...let's find out.

Remove your CAI filter and tube if you have one, or your short ram air filter..you can leave the short ram tube in for now.

If you have your stock airbox, find it, and remove the top cover. There are three phillips head screws holding it down. You can also use an 8mm wrench/socket to get them off. There's the crappy OEM filter...blah.

Yank out the old filter. Looks like there's some decent space in there.

Looks like it will fit so far. I had to press it in just a tad to get it to fit.

Put the top cover back on for a test fit. Yep, it fits!

Take the cover back off, and remove the filter. Bolt the OEM airbox into your engine bay, and put the filter back in.

All you CAI guys, this is when you start cutting. I cut mine just before the bend where it starts to go down, for a test fit of the tube. It was close, but I ended up cutting another inch and a half or 2 inches off in order for it to fit correctly. Short ram guys, I don't know if you'll need to cut. Test it to see if it will fit, if it doesn't, eyeball it and make a cut. Take the cutting slowly, better to need to cut off a little more than to cut too much.

Connect the filter to the tube, and put the filter back into the airbox. Then maneuver the intake tube back to the throttle body sleeve and tighten the clamps. Now you have a DIY icebox, and didn't have to spend an arm and a leg on one from Comptech.

The finished product.

Once I drive it a little bit, I'll let you know how it works out. I may cut the bottom of the airbox out so it can get more air.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:21 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

damn you need to clean that engine bay, but the intake is a good DIY
Old 10-30-2004, 03:36 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by teg92
damn you need to clean that engine bay, but the intake is a good DIY
I know...the spot I almost hydrolocked was a muddy puddle, it went everywhere. It's on my to do list.

h:
Old 10-30-2004, 04:10 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good shet Brett.

Now you have to get some real CAI...in the form of bar and plates
Old 10-30-2004, 04:15 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by DC2
Good shet Brett.

Now you have to get some real CAI...in the form of bar and plates
Someday....hopefully relatively soon...:rick;
Old 10-30-2004, 05:04 PM
honura
Seni

Don't bother putting holes in the bottom of the box. You will just hurt the flow of air. It will flow great from front to the box and the hurt everything from box to the intake. Think turbo's when it comes to your intake. It needs a nice good wind cycle inorder to function 100%

I hope I explained it right I tend to write like crap.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:04 PM
tommy1223

Wouldnt covering it up restrict the air flow tho? what does the butt dyno tell you when you went out for test runs?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:20 AM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by tommy1223
Wouldnt covering it up restrict the air flow tho? what does the butt dyno tell you when you went out for test runs?
I haven't tested it yet, I will tomorrow. I'm definitely going to run a hose into the fender/bumper for cold air. The fit of the filter in the box was a little tight, so I have a feeling the filter might be starved for air...hence the reason why I would cut out the bottom of the airbox...so it could get more air. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:57 AM
BONE

Do you have a tube that runs from the bottom of the air box similar to the icebox in your pics I dont see one.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:30 AM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by BONE
Do you have a tube that runs from the bottom of the air box similar to the icebox in your pics I dont see one.
Not yet. This was just to see if the filter in airbox idea would work. I gotta get some tubing for that.