Notices

getting a new high flow cat, need help...

Old 08-14-2002, 07:11 PM
RKV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a new high flow cat, need help...

ok, guys, i've asked too many dumb questions, im ordering my cat, and i asked b4 what the Apexi RS exhaust piping size is, when someone posted, it doesn't matter, which i didnt think about, for if the piping fit perfectly with the OEM cat, get a cat with the same specs as stock: so question is does anyone know what the size of a OEM Honda Accord 1998(6th generation) I4 2.3L EX model cat is ? the carsound cat im getting i need to inform the seller if I need a 2.25, 2.5 inch/outlet... does anyone kno? i want a direct fit, not the universal... the carsound homepage says theres a few kinds of cats u can get, i think i need the 94 series, cuz its for small import/domestics.

side note: my exhaust is supposedly 2.34? 60 mm? but im gonna say 2.5 safe, cuz the piping is supposed to be the same as the WS
Old 08-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

random tech. make nice catalyc converters
Old 08-14-2002, 07:23 PM
RKV

very tru, but their also more expensive... carsound goes from $120 retail, and random tech i heard is around $280-300. both pass emissions and with limited warranties, and both supply more air than stock, so im going with the carsound. but im really buying this cuz my OEM cat is DEAD, gone... CEL has been on for AGES... and car feels worse, need to replace ASAP. i think im gonna buy the carsound on ebay... buy it NOW $55
Old 08-14-2002, 07:29 PM
RKV

im lookin at this particular bid, problem is i want a direct fitted one, not a universal one, he mentions they are universal, but does that just mean, they fit on a lot of different cars, or literally? cuz carsound makes two kinds, universal or direct fit... but why would he ask for the inlet/outlet size if it was not a direct fit? cuz if its universal, u need to weld, and do bending it says, but direct fit just bolts right onto ur exhaust piping like the OEM cat did. im only gonna get the direct fit, cuz im not paying for a professional to weld this thing on

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1850707393
Old 08-14-2002, 08:14 PM
ZigenBallz
p/t slacker

Dude, the piping is 60mm which in inches comes out to 2.375" so go with either a 2.25" or 2.5" cat. A universal cat will work out okay and the $$$ you save can be used to have a decent muffler shop make it a custom fit and I bet you'll still come in under the cost of a direct fit. The only question I have is are you going with a smog legal unit or actual straight thru. Whatever you choose universal, direct fit, carsound or Random, any and all will still flow better than stock. The only thing that should sway your decision is the ultimate final plan for the car. Don't buy something to get you by right now, go with the part that fits into your overall plan and you won't have to worry about it later.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:09 PM
RKV

ZiggenBallz, im not following u 100% man, u asked are u going with a small legal unit or a completely straight thru? do stuff for the overall plan for ur car? well, let me say thanks again to u, and everyone else who has written so far. well, let me answer what i think u may mean, but im probably wrong, my car right now would fail emissions, OEM cat has gone bad.. cost of OEM cat=$1000 including labor. my cars feels like its fallin apart. mechanic told me to change my cat.. due to not changing spark plugs on time, coolant flush that wasnt done... anyway, i am not going turbo or a swap as of yet, so after my cat is put into place, it should be a smog legal car (just changed one of my O2 sensors for $250 also), cuz carsound says i am supposed to be in accordance with gov. spec.(thus passing emissions) i am getting this cat to save money and save my comfortable ride. im not in cali, im east coast, where emissions is a little more flexible. i just have a catback, CAI, and now getting a high flow, thats it. please hit me up, if i've not answered ur question... btw, i am fixing the problem which has initially has hurt my car, so it wont destroy this high flow cat either, and i mean, the overall plan, is to have my car which already has rims, lowered, a kit, looks nice, and some bolt ons, and im assuming i can sell this car eventually with this high flow cat, cuz i pass emissions, i dont want to buy an OEM cat which is expensive.. is that good enuff? is there anything that a high flow cat will present which deter my decision, im not going for speed u have to understand, just to make my car run properly again
Old 08-14-2002, 10:06 PM
ZigenBallz
p/t slacker

Well, basically I was just asking if you had an emissions test to pass and what future plans you had for the car and you answered them. Personally I don't have to pass emssions because my car is registered in another county than my own without emissions.

Anyways, by straight thru all I meant was basically it's just pipe no real catalyst to speak of. Just a straight thru pipe to take the place of the cat which is what I have. And by emissions legal I meant a CARB legal type converter. Just to let you know I've heard of people not passing the sniffer test even with CARB legal Hi-Flo Cats. But out of the 5 people I know with hi-flo cats only one had to switch the stocker back in to pass.

I understand where you are comin from about taking the opportunity to replace an already broken part with a performance part. Jeezus $1000? Is that a quote from a Honda dealer or what? I would think you would be able to get one from like a Napa or other parts store for cheaper. If you're just looking to pass emissions and don't really care about what part replaces the clogged cat then maybe a low mileage junkyard special would work.

But if you must have a hi-flo cat that would def pass emissions then my advice would be the random tech unit. Which I believe is a direct fit unit. Don't go with a cheapie or knockoff brand if you MUST pass emissions and don't have a spare stock cat to put on in case you fail.

Oh and it's no sweat askin all these questions. That's what the board is for man. Good luck tho bro. I'm kinda curious as to what you are going to decide on.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:01 PM
xtcracer96

Originally posted by EliteAccord
With DC Sports headers and Apexi Dunk catback exhaust I lost low end for mid to high end gains. I have stock cat to maintain at least some back pressure. I wonder with a high flow cat how much more low end would be lost.
a noticable amount im sure. but i think the gains on high end would be pretty beneficial. which do you do more is the question. if youre light to light or drive thru traffic regularly then id keep the oem cat. i do mostly hwy, so im considering a hi flow before i take the leap to n20.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:06 AM
kane
That's Right

or you could just get a test pipe like i did fromhttp://www.testpipe.com for45$
Old 08-15-2002, 10:41 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

On a such a new car I wouldn't worry about a cat. If you want carsound I got one for $ 87 shipped, but that needs to be custom fitted. I would also stick with 2.25 and let the exhaust shop fit it properly.