Notices

Anyone installed true HID in their 6th gen?

Old 08-14-2002, 03:26 PM
99AccordCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone installed true HID in their 6th gen?

If so, did you use the factory housing? I'm thinking of purchasing a 4300K kit from autolamps-online.com. I've heard nothing but great things about this company, even if it's England.

Also, what type of bulbs does the Acura TL use? I'm wondering if I could get my hands on an HID kit for the TL and retrofit it somehow.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:39 PM
LxAccord97

first ,u need to find out if the acura bulb fits in your car
if it is to big you can try trim it a little so it can fit

my current set up is a HID kit off a 2002 C class mercedes
i had to save A LITTLE the bulbs around and they fit perfectly
Old 08-14-2002, 03:41 PM
99AccordCoupe

where did you get the HID kit off a C class? How much did it set you back and how does it look through the factory housing?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:50 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

you'll be better off getting a retro-fit kit for your headlights... I have Lexus GS HID's in my car.. in the 5th gens its not bad at all to install them... but the beam pattern really sucks compared to what it should be.

The Acura TL/CL use D2R bulbs... like most cars with reflector type HID's. They can be put in the 6th gen headlights, but its an odd task.

I definatly recomend a 9006 retro-fit kit that is made to be put in that particular housing. The D2R bulbs do not put the light source (the arc) in the exact position, as a 9006 kit will.

I recomend watching eBay, theres always good kits on there going for good prices. And stick with a reputable name brand... like Philips or Hella... Eagle Eye or Eaglite. Ive heard a lot of bad things about the ballasts in the other cheap brands.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:59 PM
99AccordCoupe

That's what I figured. I thought there might be a cheaper way to do this mod by getting an HID kit off another car, instead of getting an actual "conversion kit". The other thing I'm concerned with is the beam pattern through the factory housing. I don't want glare. My friend bought a 6000K system off autolamps-online.com and installed it in his 2002 Passat. Through his factory projectors, it looks bad a$$. Very nice and clean beam pattern.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:11 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

the reflectors in your car are optimized for halogen lamps... not an arc lamp. For some reason, you tend to get "hot spots" in front of the car. I'm not sure how the 6th gen headlights will work with them, but probably better than my 5th gen lights.

To correct this, I won a pair of Audi projectors on eBay that I am going to implant into my stock headlights. Its just the projector assembly for HID bulbs... this way i'll get rid of the glare, and have a sharp and more definate beam on the road.

A kit is going to end up being cheaper than a system from another car... Theres always that "premium" to pay for when buying OEM parts. I got lucky and got mine off my friend who wrecked his GS.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:19 PM
99AccordCoupe

I've actually seen a guy who retrofitted the projectors off a Audi TT coupe in his 6 gen factory housing. He took pics of how he did it and everything. It looked like a total pain in the a$$. He took everything apart had to break parts of the housing to make it fit, a real pain. But he did. I wish I could remember the link to that. It was a white EX coupe. He said aiming then was a little hard, but everything worked and it looked really good when he was done.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:21 PM
99AccordCoupe

Hey Ellite, where did you get the kit from the BMW and how much? Was it pretty much plug and play or did you have to modify anything?
Old 08-14-2002, 04:36 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

so u got the 5 series bi xenons eh? how are the high beams?
Old 08-14-2002, 06:45 PM
LxAccord97

Originally posted by 99AccordCoupe
where did you get the HID kit off a C class? How much did it set you back and how does it look through the factory housing?
here are some pics of my car

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...t=mercedes+hid

i know it costs around $1500 brand new to answer your question but i spent $0.00 i have my hook ups

Quick Reply: Anyone installed true HID in their 6th gen?