Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

1996 Honda Accord Oil Pan Replacement! HELPPPPPP!

Old 09-17-2004, 09:58 PM
liliazngirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Honda Accord Oil Pan Replacement! HELPPPPPP!

I was told it was a lot more cost effective to replace the oil pan itself and the gasket. There was a leak coming from it. So my boyfriend and I bought a new oil pan and the gasket, he removed the oilpan and muffler and then there was the tranny cover that blocked the way!! His father thought it was in the way and CUT IT OFF! Now, it is exposed and the oil pan still leaks!
What are we doing wrong? The questions I have is:

*How to remove the dust cover of the tranny (there is no bolts or anything!)

*How to assure that the oil pan gasket will not leak anymore!!

*Does the oil pan need to be off to remove the dust cover!!

PLEASE Help! Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:52 PM
TekScream
Worms For Mayor

in the way!?! uh i dont know about that. but you might want to trouble shooting before you start replacing. torque down the oil pan bolts 1st, if that doesnt help the leak you're definatley gonna have to replace the gasket. now unless there's a friggen hole in the pan you should be ok. look at the rim of the old pan. if theres no dents and it's pretty straight, then replacing the oil pan probably wont be needed. do you have a manual? those really help ya know. but i'll read up on this topic a little more. i'll get back to ya by monday. if you havent been helped heh. peace
Old 09-20-2004, 06:37 AM
AndyOhio

Not sure about the tranny dust cover... could this be the flywheel cover? Not sure how to remove it either. I have a 92 Accord LX auto, and I remember this cover looked a little puzzling last year when I was thinking of an attempt to replace the oil pan gasket. It looked to me like the cover could not be removed until the oil pan was off. Never did it yet, but I've put some thought into it. Here's my procedure, which might be a bit of overkill, but I really don't want to do the job a second time....

Check the flatness of the pan gasket surface with a machinists straightedge. The edge of a metal ruler like that of a combination square might work, but is less accurate. Maybe have it checked at a machine shop for a few bucks. If the gasket surface sticks up at the bolt holes, pound them down slightly and carefully with a ball pein hammer on a wood block.... Or just use the new pan since you've already got it.

1. Clean both gasket surfaces with gasket remover if there's any bits of gasket attached.

2. Clean both gasket surfaces with carburetor cleaner.

3. Clean both gasket surfaces with mineral spirits (aka paint/lacquer thinner). Don't touch them with anything--they need to be clean enough to do surgery on.

4. Get a tube (or two?) of some Honda Bond (expensive at Honda parts) or the Permatex grey "OEM" silicone gasket maker. Put a 1/8" - 1/4" continuous bead on the gasket surfaces of the pan and the block. Put the bead on the inner side of the bolt holes

5. Attach rubber gasket to pan, raise it into place, and carefully bolt it on finger tight in two places.

6. Install and slowly tighten all of the bolts finger tight.

7. Tighten all bolts 1/4-1/2 turn at a time in a criss-cross pattern with a torque wrench to the precise torque spec.

8. Let the car sit for no less than 24 hours before filling it with oil.

9. Double check that the oil filter and drain bolt are tight before filling with oil.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Andy
Old 09-22-2004, 10:29 PM
liliazngirl

Now, I think the situation is that the oil pan will not drop without removing the tranny dust cover (flywheel cover). So i guess the real questions is how to remove the flywheel cover of an auto 96 Honda Accord.
Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it.

*The oil pan is cracked.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

On my 1996 GSR, I had to remove the flywheel cover too. There are two braces from the block to the tranny that need to be completely removed and two smaller bolts. After those bolts are loose, the cover should slide down. Then you can take the oil pan off. When putting it back on, make sure that the flywheel cover is on and then tighten up the oil pan bolts.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:09 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Remember don't overtighten the oil pan bolts. I don't remember the spec, but they're NOT very tight at all. If you go too tight, the gasket squirms around & leaks.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Remember don't overtighten the oil pan bolts. I don't remember the spec, but they're NOT very tight at all. If you go too tight, the gasket squirms around & leaks.
8 ft/lbs.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:57 PM
aero3685

Originally Posted by Shmoo
8 ft/lbs.
and get a click type torque wrench. I did the gasket on my h22, and used the cheaper one cuz thats all i could get at 8:50 on a weeknight... and i think its prolly way over tightened, and will leak sometime soon.