Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Defensive driving techniques

Old 08-14-2002, 09:02 AM
derf
Spec5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defensive driving techniques

i think this is the right forum to ask in....

how would you whip out your tail if you have a front wheel drive car?

if you are already in a slide with the tail out, how do you regain control?

if you are plowing uncontroably in a directiton other than your wheels are pointed, how do you regain control?.. ie like if you were on a exit ramp.. plowing towards the side.. on a rainy day..

i think an article about defensive driving wud me nice
Old 08-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

I just started auto-crossing/track events this summer, so I'm still a n00b, but I'll see if I can answer some of your questions.

I have koni-yellow shocks on my teg, and when I set the rears to a stiff setting (say 6 out of 8) I have no problem bringing the tail out during hard turns in auto-x. Upgrading the rear sway/tie bar and stiffening up the rear suspension in general will help you rotate better. Some people use left-foot braking/handbrake, but that's not necessary until you're at a higher level. Usually my tail comes out when I trail-brake, lift-off throttle during a turn, stab the brakes hard during a turn (lock up rears), or do an aggressive turn-in without braking.

Since your drive-wheels are on the front, the throttle is your friend. Point the wheels in the direction you want to go and apply throttle as needed. It's safe to say that even if you floor it, you won't spin out. You're front-wheels will either have traction or no traction, in which case your car will understeer.

So basically,

stiff rear susp = oversteer
throttle is your friend

hope that helps...and let me know if I'm wrong about any of the above

Shingo
Old 08-14-2002, 09:47 AM
qtiger

If your tail steps out, throttle is the main way to bring it back. Unfortunately for most people, when they start to spin, their first reaction is to let off the gas and hit the brakes. This is the worst possible thing to do, as that shifts the weight distribution of the car forward, removing any bit of traction you had. Instead, you should mash on the gas while keeping your tires pointed in the direction in which you intend to go. That should gain you back your tail end traction.

To step out your rear, let off the gas rapidly and apply a little brake if neccesary.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:40 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

fwd cars are fairly easy to drive at their limits b/c of the control you get...the rear end is light so doesn't have snap oversteer tendencies if it breaks loose which is increases with poor rear suspension (i.e. live rear axles)

basically, steer into the direction of the skid and apply throttle to get out

sometimes though you want to turn the car using a fwd slide (i.e. hard hairpin)...there you'd tap the brakes and turn the wheels to where you want to go and modulate the throttle (based on traction)...this is in the case you are following another car and want the fastest exit out of a hairpin onto a straight get maximum straightline speed to pass them

actually first lightly touching the brakes then accelerating to get the largest contact patch with the front tires is wise...slamming on the brakes isn't
Old 08-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Taiwanze7

another very easy *but not recommended* way to oversteer is to pull the ebrake .... I've only done it once or twice though, and no need after I've upgraded my suspension
Old 08-14-2002, 01:32 PM
derf
Spec5

so to oversteer i would just tap brakes and turn?

if i'm understeering heavily, that means i'm already going to fast... you want me to accelerate in this situation? like i said in the on ramp situation... i'm pointing my tires in the direction in wanna go but i'm moving towards the rail....
Old 08-14-2002, 06:57 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by derf
if i'm understeering heavily, that means i'm already going to fast... you want me to accelerate in this situation? like i said in the on ramp situation... i'm pointing my tires in the direction in wanna go but i'm moving towards the rail....
No, you accelerate to correct for oversteer, not understeer.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:25 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by qtiger
No, you accelerate to correct for oversteer, not understeer.
oversteer basically means the rear tires have lost contact and cause the rear end to kick out...laws of physics tell you to accelerate b/c it transfers weight to the rear wheels thereby creating friction for the tire to gain and bringing the car back in line
Old 08-14-2002, 08:28 PM
derf
Spec5

i know you all said that sorry, i guess i just woreded it funny, how do you correct understeer then?
Old 08-15-2002, 02:57 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Ok there are some misinformation here:

1) If the back end is loose and you want to regain control you step on the gas. This will transfer weight to the rear putting more weight on the rear tires giving them more traction. Many people get into a spin (with a FWD car) and slam on the brakes which makes the back end come around much quicker

2) If you are plowing (understeering) into a turn the best thing to do is either don't drive so fast into a corner, or unwind the steering wheel and brake then turn. As someone mentioned you should be: 100% braking, 100% turning, or 100% accelerating. Never a combination of the three.

Quick Reply: Defensive driving techniques